Views
Helpful
Replies

about etherchannel

ariela
Level 4
Level 4

Hi folks,

I know that a FEC or GEC link uses LACP with active-passive/active-active mode, and PAGP with auto-desirable/desirable-desirable mode.

Saying that, what about the "channel-protocol" command? Is that used only in a multivendor infrastructure?

Thanks for your support

Regards

Andrea

3 Replies 3

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Andrea,

Channel-Protocol command support both PAGP as well as LACP so it will not be true if we say that they are used only in multivendor infrastructure as PAGP is Cisco Prop.

To set the protocol that is used on an interface to manage channeling, we can use the channel-protocol command. Although you can also select the protocol using the channel-group command.

The channel-protocol command is performed on a channel-group basis and affects ports in the channel group that is being reconfigured only. You can use the channel-protocol command to restrict anyone from selecting a mode that is not applicable to the selected protocol.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate helpfull post

Maybe I don't understand ...

I've to use LACP, what the difference between use only active-passive channel-group mode, and add the 'channel-protocol lacp' command?

In effect, normally if I use active-passive I set the protocol that is used on an interface to manage channeling (LACP), with or without a channel-protocol specification.

The same for PAGP (desirable-desirable channel-group mode, for example, and channel-protocol pagp) ...

Plese help me to understand with an example.

Thanks for your answer

Andrea

Hi Andrea,

Basically this command will restricts the channel-group command to the EtherChannel protocol configured with the channel-protocol command.

For an example

If you have configured

"channel-protocol pagp" and then you try to configure mode which belongs to LACP mode it will not take any affect like after configuring this command if you issue a command "channel-group mode active/passive" there will be no affect on the LAN port with this channel group command but if you will issue any mode command which belongs to PAGP it will certainly be welcomed like "channel-group mode desirable" and then you check the lan por tconfiguration and you will see mode as desirable.

Same thing happens in reverse if you issue a command "channel-protocol lacp" and then you issue "channel-group mode desirable" it will not have any affect on your interface and you will not see this configuration on your interface though command will be issued without any error but if you issue "channel-group mode passive/active" it will be affected and you can see that command applicable on that interface.

So in short on the selected LAN port this command restricts the channel-group command to the EtherChannel protocol configured with the channel-protocol command.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card