Dual-homing Distribution Router & Tweaking EIGRP

Unanswered Question
Apr 29th, 2007
User Badges:

Quick question regarding Distribution route-switches (3560s) and EIGRP.

I have a distribution-level 3560 (RS3) running EIGRP with L3 connections to two 6500 switches (RS1 and RS2). RS3 is configured with SVIs to terminate local data & voice VLans. Is there a way to tweak EIGRP so that it will route the traffic from the data vlan (10) to RS1, and the voice vlan (11) to RS2?

In a failure mode (if one 6509 dies) the routing should still be able to redirect access to both the data & voice subnets through the active 6509.

There is a subnet with servers on which both 6500 switches have an SVI on, and from what I know of EIGRP I expect the distribution switch to load-balance the connections to this subnet using both 6500s, which is undesirable.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
balajitvk Sun, 04/29/2007 - 10:29
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Hi,

Since your distribution switch is L3 aware, advertise the vlan subnets in EIGRP so that it will route the packets from others / outside to intenting subnets...

If you configure the failure mode thro, HSRP or VRRP, it is possible.

Disable the equal cost loadbalncing, choose the preferred route by influencing EIGRP metrics to avoid the same.....

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a00800c2d96.shtml#prereq

Rate if it does,

Rgs,

Actions

This Discussion