cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Failover with PIX 515E 64 MB RAM to PIX515E 128 MB RAM

ajupanicker
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible that you can failover with the following scenario ?

PIX 515E with 64 MB RAM,VAC is our primary production PIX.We bought a new failover firewall with 128MB RAM,VAC+ card.

We just dont want to disturb the hardware configuration of the production primary PIX,so it is possible that you can failover with the new one ?

If yes,what are the configuration requirements ?

I would appreciate your comments.

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

As you are running 64Mb on primary firewall i'm assuming your are running pix v6.x.

According to the failover requirements in the following document the firewalls must have the same amount of RAM to work in failover mode.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2120/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008017278a.html#wp1025358

I have never tried this so can't say for sure whether it would work or not but the doc seems to suggest it won't.

HTH

Jon

Thanks Jon.

Is there any possiblity that we can disable the functionality of the VAC+ card on the Secondary PIX and to make failover with the VAC card on the Primary ? Luckily we bought the Memory upgrade pack for the Primary unit.

Hi

To be honest I'm not sure but i believe that you would have problems if the primary pix didn't see a functioning VAC card in the failover pix.

I'm still not 100% convinced about the two units having to have exactly the same RAM but i don't have a spare pix to test with.

Sorry

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card