Views
Helpful
Replies

Distribute List

waridtel.com
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can anybody tell me what is distribute list.

Best Regards,

Rahim Amir Ali

5 Replies 5

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Rahim,

To control the advertising and processing of routes in routing updates, use the distribute-list command. There are two distribute-list commands: distribute-list in and distribute-list out. They are similar in syntax, but the options available to each and their behavior are very different.

The distribute-list in command is used to control which routes are processed in incoming routing updates.

The distribute-list out command is used to control which routes are included in outgoing routing updates.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080208748.shtml

HTH, please rate if it does help,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi Rahim,

To make the answer complete:

Because route filtering works by regulating the routes that are entered into or advertised out of the route table, they have different effects on link state routing protocols than they do on distance vector protocols. A router running a distance vector protocol advertises routes based on what is in its route table. As a result, a route filter influences which routes the router advertises to its neighbors.

On the other hand, routers running link state protocols determine their routes based on information in their link state database, rather than on the advertised route entries of its neighbors. Route filters have no effect on links state advertisements or on the link state database.

HTH, please rate if it does help,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Mohammed,

I think we can use distribute-lists with link state protocols like OSPF. The difference is, it does not filter the Link state database but the routes from entering the route table

Narayan

Hi Narayan,

You are right, i didn't mean that we can't use distribute-list with link-state protocols, i meant that it works differently.

In the case of distance vector a route filter influences which routes the router advertises to its neighbors.

On the other hand, routers running link state protocols determine their routes based on information in their link state database, rather than on the advertised route entries of its neighbors. Route filters have no effect on links state advertisements or on the link state database, meaning that it doesn't affect the link-state advertisements them self but rather filtering routes from entering the routing table.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Rahim,

Distribute lists are used primarily to filter routing updates and reference to either a prefix-list or access-lists.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080208748.shtml

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card