How can we define supervisor engine.

Thanks

Mahmood

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Jon Marshall Mon, 04/30/2007 - 04:50

Hi Mahmood

What do you mean by "define". The suprevisor engine is the brains of the switch but i'm not clear what your quite mean.

Jon

mahmoodmkl Mon, 04/30/2007 - 04:55

Hi

Jon thanks for u r reply,what i mean is that how can we define if someone asks us what is supervisor engine.I agree with its the brains of the switch,i m looking for a more granular defination.

Thanks

Mahmood

Jon Marshall Mon, 04/30/2007 - 05:13

Hi Mahmood

How about "it is the very intelligent brains of the switch !! " :-)

Seriously i guess you could cover what it is capable of doing. I'm sure you've seen these but the data sheets for the Sup 720 & the sup1/2 give a good definition of the capabilities.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2797/ps5138/index.html

On a much higher level i would say

the supervisor engine drives the line cards, makes all of the forwarding decisions, both layer2 and layer3 ( with the exception of DFC cards) and provides many of the advanced L2/L3 functions that are needed in modern neworks.

Bit vague i know !

Jon

mohammedmahmoud Mon, 04/30/2007 - 05:21

Hi,

The supervisor engine is a module that is installed in one of the card slots in the switch/router(more specifically the 7600). The supervisor engine provides switching and local and remote management for the switch/router.

The supervisor engine contains the following integrated daughter cards that perform forwarding and routing and provide the protocols supported on the router:

Multilayer Switch Feature Card (MSFC) is the control plane and does the following:

?Performs routing for the chassis. The MSFC contains the route processor (RP) and switch processor (SP) for the router.

?Runs Layer 2 and Layer 3 protocols, such as the Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) and others.

Policy Feature Card (PFC) is the forwarding plane and does the following:

?Performs Layer 2 and Layer 3 forwarding.

?Enforces access control list (ACL) funczions.

?Performs policing and marking for QoS traffic.

?Collects Netflow statistics.

HTH, please rate if it does help,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Actions

This Discussion