How can we define supervisor engine.

Thanks

Mahmood

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mahmood

What do you mean by "define". The suprevisor engine is the brains of the switch but i'm not clear what your quite mean.

Jon

Hi

Jon thanks for u r reply,what i mean is that how can we define if someone asks us what is supervisor engine.I agree with its the brains of the switch,i m looking for a more granular defination.

Thanks

Mahmood

Hi Mahmood

How about "it is the very intelligent brains of the switch !! " :-)

Seriously i guess you could cover what it is capable of doing. I'm sure you've seen these but the data sheets for the Sup 720 & the sup1/2 give a good definition of the capabilities.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2797/ps5138/index.html

On a much higher level i would say

the supervisor engine drives the line cards, makes all of the forwarding decisions, both layer2 and layer3 ( with the exception of DFC cards) and provides many of the advanced L2/L3 functions that are needed in modern neworks.

Bit vague i know !

Jon

Hi,

The supervisor engine is a module that is installed in one of the card slots in the switch/router(more specifically the 7600). The supervisor engine provides switching and local and remote management for the switch/router.

The supervisor engine contains the following integrated daughter cards that perform forwarding and routing and provide the protocols supported on the router:

Multilayer Switch Feature Card (MSFC) is the control plane and does the following:

?Performs routing for the chassis. The MSFC contains the route processor (RP) and switch processor (SP) for the router.

?Runs Layer 2 and Layer 3 protocols, such as the Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) and others.

Policy Feature Card (PFC) is the forwarding plane and does the following:

?Performs Layer 2 and Layer 3 forwarding.

?Enforces access control list (ACL) funczions.

?Performs policing and marking for QoS traffic.

?Collects Netflow statistics.

HTH, please rate if it does help,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco