cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuration backup for ASA

smolz
Level 4
Level 4

I have a couple of questions regarding best practice for configuration backup. I have an active/standby pair of ASA 5510's. I want to be able to restore one or both in the event of a failure.

My questions are:

1) What is the best way to restore configuration if 1 fails? (This seemed to be easier on the PIX, as the serial cable pretty much took care of everything)

2)What would be the quickest way to restore if the pair failed?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

didyap
Level 6
Level 6

The ASA 5505 adaptive security appliance, use the backup interface command in interface configuration mode to identify a VLAN interface as a backup interface, for example, to an ISP. This command can be entered in the interface configuration mode for a VLAN interface only. This command blocks all through traffic on the identified backup interface unless the default route through the primary interface goes down. To restore normal operation, use the no backup interface command. And one more thing : On the ASA 5500 series adaptive security appliance, the no service password-recovery ... load a new image and a backup configuration file:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008063b408.html

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

didyap
Level 6
Level 6

The ASA 5505 adaptive security appliance, use the backup interface command in interface configuration mode to identify a VLAN interface as a backup interface, for example, to an ISP. This command can be entered in the interface configuration mode for a VLAN interface only. This command blocks all through traffic on the identified backup interface unless the default route through the primary interface goes down. To restore normal operation, use the no backup interface command. And one more thing : On the ASA 5500 series adaptive security appliance, the no service password-recovery ... load a new image and a backup configuration file:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008063b408.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco