cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CNR 6.2 - DHCP Trouble-shooting

ppdnetman
Level 1
Level 1

Our Primary DNS server on our internal network has just been upgraded from 5.5.13 -> 6.0.5.4 -> 6.1.4.2 -> 6.2.3.1

The CNR 6.2 DNS server upgrade was a complete success. However the DHSP server function is not providing any leased addresses to client requests. The log is recording:

-----------------------------------------

04/30/2007 16:13:39 name/dhcp/1 Warning Protocol 0 04664 Received DHCPDISCOVER packet but Scope for source network '10.8.10.30' is deactivated. Dropping packet.

-----------------------------------------

I have tried to make sure that the scope is activated, can you direct me to where I need to make sure the scope is activated as I may have overlooked some stage. Is it possible that the dhcp database may not have upgraded properly. Are there any CLI commands which I can perform to check the status of a Scope (activated / deactivated).

Any help will be much appreciated

3 Replies 3

jreekers
Level 4
Level 4

Hi.

Do you have a failover DHCP server, and if so, did you upgrade it prior to upgrading the primary? Often times, this issue is seen when you are set in a failover configuration, but one (or both) servers are not configured for failover (neither main nor failover).

Please review the dhcp logs for messages with the text "unable to successfully configure for DHCP failover". That would indicate your problem with failover configuration.

Thank you for your quick reply and help with this...

We have a failover DHCP server. However this is not yet upgarded to 6.2x - it is still running CNR 5.513 (to be upgraded to 6.2x in the next two weeks). Can you confirm if both versions are compatible in a failover DHCP server pair implementation (and if any particular settings need to be configured), or if this is not possible because both servers need to be on the same CNR release.

Thanks again

Hi.

Actually, having v6.2x and 5.5x in a failover configuration is possible, although it makes it very difficult to manage. That difficulty stems from the very different User Interfaces between the two versions, and the fact that it's not possible to sync the config from one to the other. The soonest you can get both on the same version, the better.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: