6500 dram upgrade

Answered Question
Apr 30th, 2007

Is any kind of firmware upgrade required when upgrading the 2 dram chips that are at the front part of the sup7203B. I am taking out the 2 that are in there now and installing 2 1g chips. I know that a firmware upgrade is required when upgrading the sup-bootflash: but how about the msfc3 dram?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by mohammedmahmoud about 9 years 7 months ago

Hi there,

I hope you are fine, complete these steps to simulate a break key sequence to enter the rommon:

1.Connect to the router with these terminal settings:

1200 baud rate

No parity

8 data bits

1 stop bit

No flow control

You no longer see any output on your screen, and this is normal.

2.Power cycle (switch off and then on) the switch and press the SPACEBAR for 10-15 seconds in order to generate a signal similar to the break sequence.

3.Disconnect your terminal, and reconnect with a 9600 baud rate. You enter the ROM Monitor mode.

HTH, please do rate all helpful posts,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi,

I hope that everything is going fine with you, here you are a nice link on how to configure the online diagnostics on the Catalyst 6500 series switches:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008017c10f.html

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

hi,

When issuing the show version the memory shows two values, separated by a slash, are given for DRAM:

The first value tells you how DRAM is available for system processing, and the second value tells you how much DRAM is being used for Packet memory.

The first value, Main Processor Memory, is either:

- The amount of DRAM available for the processor, or

- The total amount of DRAM installed on the system.

The second value, Packet Memory, is either:

- The total physical input/output (I/O) memory (or ?Fast memory?) installed on the router (Cisco 4000, 4500, 4700, and 7500 series), or

- The amount of ?Shared memory? used for packet buffering. In the shared memory scheme (Cisco 2500, 2600, 3600, and 7200 Series), a percentage of DRAM is used for packet buffering by the router's network interfaces.

NOTE: The terms ?I/O Memory? or ?iomem?; ?shared memory?; ?Fast Memory? and ?PCI memory? all refer to ?Packet Memory?. Packet Memory is either a separate physical RAM stick/module (?), or shared DRAM.

HTH, please rate if it does help,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi,

I really don't know why do we have to disagree at all, below are 2 separate documents explaining both:

Here you are the DRAM DIMMs "Removing and Installing the DRAM DIMMs":

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_release_and_installation_notes09186a008017ef3e.html#wp34951

SP and RP DRAM DIMMs near the front.

Here you are the BOOTFLASH DIMMs "Installing the CompactFlash Adapter":

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_installation_and_configuration_guide09186a0080537ae3.html#wp38181

SP and RP BOOTFLASH DIMMs near the back.

NOTE: Both DRAM and BOOTFLASH are physically DIMMs (dual in-line memory module).

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Overall Rating: 5 (5 ratings)
mohammedmahmoud Mon, 04/30/2007 - 13:06

Hi,

WS-SUP720-3B supports 512MB of DRAM for the route processor and 512 MB for the switch processor, upgradeable to 1GB each, and according to these 2 documents, the memory upgrade won't need any rommon or IOS upgrade while upgrading the sub-bootflash required.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_bulletin0900aecd8058b34f.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2797/products_data_sheet09186a0080159856.html

Mohammed Mahmoud.

mohammedmahmoud Mon, 04/30/2007 - 13:43

Hi,

I can't follow you !!! See the part "Upgrading DRAM for Existing Cisco Catalyst 6500 Supervisor Engine 32 from 256 MB

to 512 MB" in the first document i sent you, its the same for 720.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

newbie Mon, 04/30/2007 - 13:51

I am getting confused then because if you look at figure 3 from the site I sent you have dram dimms up at the front and to the left of the sup720. Then what are the 2 chips in the back of the board. Diagrams say the left id sp and the right is rp sup-bootflash. I am then not understanding what are the 2 up front.

newbie Mon, 04/30/2007 - 14:18

I think we will have to agree to disagree. I see figure 4 which points to sp and rp but I still want to know what are the 2 removable dimms up front in figure 4. they each have 3 small boxes on them. the ones that figue 3 in the link I sent you called them dram dimms.

Correct Answer
mohammedmahmoud Mon, 04/30/2007 - 15:14

Hi,

I really don't know why do we have to disagree at all, below are 2 separate documents explaining both:

Here you are the DRAM DIMMs "Removing and Installing the DRAM DIMMs":

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_release_and_installation_notes09186a008017ef3e.html#wp34951

SP and RP DRAM DIMMs near the front.

Here you are the BOOTFLASH DIMMs "Installing the CompactFlash Adapter":

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_installation_and_configuration_guide09186a0080537ae3.html#wp38181

SP and RP BOOTFLASH DIMMs near the back.

NOTE: Both DRAM and BOOTFLASH are physically DIMMs (dual in-line memory module).

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

newbie Mon, 04/30/2007 - 15:32

My friend I totally agree with your last post to me. Now lets go one step more. When you replace or I should say upgrade the SP compact flash you first have to make sure you are running 8.4(2) version of rommon. If not you have to upgrade that. So that would be a firmware upgrade also. Now my original question was abou the DRAM Dimms, Is any kind of firmware/software upgrade required when you upgrade the dram dimms(Here you are the DRAM DIMMs "Removing and Installing the DRAM DIMMs).

mohammedmahmoud Mon, 04/30/2007 - 15:41

Hi,

I didn't upgrade a 6500 to 2G before, but i can't find any Cisco document that says that you need to upgrade your firmware when upgrading the DRAM DIMMs (however the Cisco document i attached in my first post said that a firmware upgrade is a must for bootflash upgrade, but there is nothing about DRAM DIMMs upgrade).

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

newbie Mon, 04/30/2007 - 15:48

I have also never seen anything saying that any firmware upgrade is necessary. One of my issues is that I have replaced the 2 dram dimms with 1gig ones. so i should see 2gig but i am not i am only seeing 1 gig when i do a show mem or a show ver. i figured I would see 2g. my sup card is a sup7203b. maybe it can't take 1g only the sup7203xl(thinks that is the name) can. this is what originally led me to think i needed to do some kind of firmware upgrade to see the whole 2 gig.

mohammedmahmoud Mon, 04/30/2007 - 15:54

Hi,

NO, WS-SUP720-3B supports 512MB of DRAM for the route processor and 512 MB for the switch processor, upgradeable to 1GB each. Meaning that 1G is for the RP and the other 1G is for the SP.

Check this by doing both "show version" for the RP and "remote command switch show version" for the SP, to see that each of them is 1G.

I hope that i've been informative.

HTH, please rate helpful posts,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

newbie Wed, 05/02/2007 - 16:09

Yes you have. I did some playing around with a spare 6500 and some memory chips I had and your above is correct. upon bootup you can see the amount of memory in the SP and a little later on it shows the memory of the RP. Just one question though. the RP memory output will say sometjing like 1046728/65444. what is the 65444? the first number I assume is showing that I now have my upgraded 1g but the other number I am not sure of. The SP mem does't have a number like this. It will just have something like 1046728. Also, are you familiar with WAAS.

Correct Answer
mohammedmahmoud Wed, 05/02/2007 - 22:42

hi,

When issuing the show version the memory shows two values, separated by a slash, are given for DRAM:

The first value tells you how DRAM is available for system processing, and the second value tells you how much DRAM is being used for Packet memory.

The first value, Main Processor Memory, is either:

- The amount of DRAM available for the processor, or

- The total amount of DRAM installed on the system.

The second value, Packet Memory, is either:

- The total physical input/output (I/O) memory (or ?Fast memory?) installed on the router (Cisco 4000, 4500, 4700, and 7500 series), or

- The amount of ?Shared memory? used for packet buffering. In the shared memory scheme (Cisco 2500, 2600, 3600, and 7200 Series), a percentage of DRAM is used for packet buffering by the router's network interfaces.

NOTE: The terms ?I/O Memory? or ?iomem?; ?shared memory?; ?Fast Memory? and ?PCI memory? all refer to ?Packet Memory?. Packet Memory is either a separate physical RAM stick/module (?), or shared DRAM.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

newbie Thu, 05/03/2007 - 02:40

You familiar with WAAS? Have you implemented it. We are not getting the modules but the box/appliance itself.

newbie Mon, 05/07/2007 - 12:30

Would you happen to have any info or sites that point to some good diagnostic commands for line cards. I am trying to check out some line cards that users gave said are bad and I am trying to run every conceivable test on them.

newbie Tue, 05/08/2007 - 12:02

Thanks that site helped. A couple of bad sup-720's were dumped on me to fix and I am having a problem with one. When I turn on the switch rows of hex numbers start scrolling on the screen nonstop. I can't stop it. The following message comes up:TRACEBACK, TBL(load or instruction fetch) exception signal=10, CPU=0x0. I think maybe the boot parameter values need to be reset or changed. Any ideas. How can I stop the scrolling and maybe get to rommon.

Correct Answer
mohammedmahmoud Tue, 05/08/2007 - 12:40

Hi there,

I hope you are fine, complete these steps to simulate a break key sequence to enter the rommon:

1.Connect to the router with these terminal settings:

1200 baud rate

No parity

8 data bits

1 stop bit

No flow control

You no longer see any output on your screen, and this is normal.

2.Power cycle (switch off and then on) the switch and press the SPACEBAR for 10-15 seconds in order to generate a signal similar to the break sequence.

3.Disconnect your terminal, and reconnect with a 9600 baud rate. You enter the ROM Monitor mode.

HTH, please do rate all helpful posts,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

newbie Fri, 05/11/2007 - 05:21

Hello Friend,

This one may stretch your knowledge or maybe not. I once say a technician do a command on a 6500 where he just generate tons of junk traffic form one site to another. they were testing speed and throughput. From what I can remember there was a command(maybe a hidden one) where you could send or generate allot of traffic across a line. any ideas

mohammedmahmoud Fri, 05/11/2007 - 05:39

Hello,

How are you, i hope everything is going perfect with you :), i think that you are talking about the TCP and UDP small servers, please check the below link:

Generates a stream of ASCII data. Use the telnet x.x.x.x chargen

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1818/products_tech_note09186a008019d97a.shtml

HTH, please rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

newbie Fri, 05/11/2007 - 06:28

I actually did remember the command as being chargen but I am trying to get a good example of how to use it. If I am on switch a and I want to generate a stream of ASCii data to switch b. I would first do service tcp-small-servers. but what next. does the service tcp-small-servers have to be set up on both switch a and b, then do i telnet from a to b. someone here mentioned that I have to telnet to port 19. very confusing.

newbie Fri, 05/11/2007 - 09:51

The chargen is not a big issue. I am playing around with it as a testing tool and also TTCP. My bigger issue is that I am unable to telnet into a switch. It has a very minimal config on it. here it the VTY info

line vty 0 4

password 7 cccecdttdyxx0

transport preferred telnet

line 5 15

password 7 xxx0099xx5

transport preferred telnet

When I try to telnet into this switch I keep getting password required but none setup.

mohammedmahmoud Fri, 05/11/2007 - 12:53

Hi,

I am really glade that your are becoming a Cisco expert yourself :)

To solve your problem "Password required, but none set ", please make sure that "login" command is present under the line vty plus the "password" command.

line vty 0 4

password

login

Mohammed Mahmoud.

newbie Fri, 05/11/2007 - 13:03

I have tried that. but this switch is a 3550 and it won't let me do that. when I try login I get 2 choices

authentication

I can't just put login by itself. maybe an ios thing. i may have to upgrade.

mohammedmahmoud Fri, 05/11/2007 - 23:41

Hi,

Is AAA configured for this switch, check for "aaa new-model" command in the configuration.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

newbie Thu, 05/24/2007 - 04:50

Hello my friend

i have several IOS images in sup-bootflash. is there a way to change the order or the get the switch to boot off a specific one without having to delete the other 2 older images.

mohammedmahmoud Thu, 05/24/2007 - 05:08

Hi,

Been a long time, i hope that everything is going fine.

You can use the boot statement, like this "boot system flash:", and add the IOSs in the order that you want the switch to try using sequntial boot statements, putting the new IOS first, and the other old as failovers, they i are processed in the order you configured them, if one fail the next is used.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

newbie Thu, 05/31/2007 - 12:17

Hi Friend,

I am off on something new and hoping you can help.

1. would you happen to know if the newest IOS for the 3800 router(adventerprise) can do ipx when setting up a dialer-list. When I do (dialer-list 2 protocol xxx)I don't see ipx to choose from.

2.Do you have any info on configuring lines on a 3800 router. I have 2 async cards in it. They are the 2 port cards whith one that says 0-7 and the other 8-15. In the IOS you will see something like 1/0 1/15 and 2/0 2/15.

mohammedmahmoud Thu, 05/31/2007 - 15:31

Hi Yolanda,

I hope that everything is going fine with you.

As for your questions:

1. I've checked the feature navigator and it should be supported, and i've further tested it on one of my routers running the adventerprise code (which is the Full Cisco IOS software feature set by the way):

Router(config)#dialer-list 1 protocol ipx permit

2. what is the purpose that you need to configure the async lines for.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

newbie Thu, 05/31/2007 - 15:36

I will double check again but I didn't see IPX.

I am configuring several modem lines and I can't find much on configuring the async cards. if worse comes to worse I will copy the startup-config from an older router that has the async stuff configured to my new 3875 router. I just wanted to figure them out.

newbie Tue, 06/05/2007 - 07:04

Hello Friend,

Question: I took a sup-bootflash kit from one sup card and put on another. I now have 512mb of memory but when I do a remote command switch show ver | inc ROM I still see 8.3(1) which is what was probably the version of the rommon. Why am I not seeing 8.4(2)? This is what is printed on the sup-bootflash: kit/memory chip that I inserted.

Actions

This Discussion