cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1605 R - how to open a port

ywcadataKW
Level 1
Level 1

I need to open a port for remote database access, and have no documentation or schematic for how this was set up by a volunteer ages ago. I have found some Cisco docs on how to get in to configure, but nothing on the process for opening a port. any advice appreciated!

12 Replies 12

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

by default all ports are opened. if you can paste your config and give more details about your port, we may help you.

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Can you post any ACL (access control lists) configured on this router.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

I haven't gotten in to get that information off it yet...there is no browser interface, so I have to connect directly. We have the Cisco 1605 R in front of a Linksys switch. It is not in default setup, it was configured at install...I know this port is not open, because we pinged it from outside.

We deal with a lot of confidential client information, so we are locked down tight. I want to open up this port for remote database access. And as I said, this was set up so long ago there is no documentation. But once I get in I will post the config if I can do that without compromising our data.

I'm not even sure I can get past whatever passwords are on there to get the config off it...we may have to contact the volunteer to try to find out how it is set up. I was just hoping someone could point me towards a procedure for setup once I am in there, but maybe it will be apparent in the interface.

Hi,

Use this password recovery procedure to get into the router and get the information from the interface:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps214/products_password_recovery09186a0080093e11.shtml

HTH, please rate if it does help,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

nice! I just found that too :) I have a laptop hooked up to the console port, but haven't been able to hyperterminal in yet. I guess I need to reboot the router, so I'm going to have to wait until people go home.

ok, the problem is i don't have the right console cable yet. thank you for all your help, I will post again when I get connected and have config info

ok, so I have the cable, and I have gotten in to see the config. I got the enable password, but then when I got out and went back in again and tried it, it didn't work. So, I am going to try it again when people leave for the day. maybe I am missing something...but I will post the config when I have it...thank you.

I can get in, and it shows the enable password, not encrypted, and the secret enable, which is encrypted. but once I get out and go back in again the password doesn't work. I am afraid to save anything because I don't want to blow away our current configuration. Is that the problem? Do I have to save before I get out? Thank you...

The enable secret automatically takes precedence over the enable password command. What you need to do is make a new enable secret (this after doing the password recover of course).

(config)#enable secret

Also, make sure you check out the password on the VTY and Console lines down at the bottom of the config.

Oh, and don't forget to do a

#copy run start

to save your changes :)

-Chris

Hi,

Chris has got it right, when having both enable password and enable secret, the enable secret takes precedence over the enable password as it is more secure, so you need to change the enable secret and save your configuration.

To encrypt the enable password and any other un-encrypted passwords, use the "service password-encryption" command, but its a weak encryption any way, so its recommended to use the enable secret which uses MD5.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

yikes. ok, well I guess if I gotta I gotta. I have to say that just scares the bejeebers out of me :) but I'm going to give it a shot. wish me luck!

hi,

Good luck :) and please come back for any further problems.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco