Unable to Telnet or Console into 2924 Catalyst Switch

Unanswered Question
Apr 30th, 2007

Telnet for the above switch is not working. While accessing the switch via console following messages were being displayed on the HyperTerminal window

"%%Low on memory, try again later"

From the message it definitely relates to memory on the switch, but wanted to get the second opinion with such a massive networking community. Would appreciate if there is URL/Link detaling this fix be posted as well.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Hieu Cao Mon, 04/30/2007 - 17:57

It looks like that your switch is in need of a reboot and more RAM will help. I don't think that you can do much when you get that error message other than having to reboot the switch. Try upgrading it to a more current IOS; of course, that may require your switch to meet the min. memory requirement first.

nicolelayne Mon, 04/30/2007 - 19:27

It may help if you post a 'sh ver' and the part of your running configuration under 'line vty 0 4'.

rohit.rastogi Tue, 05/01/2007 - 09:50

As mentioned earlier that I can't get past the error message even on the console, so I don't know if there is any possibility of capturing your requested information such as "sh run" under "line vty 0 4" from the switch.

nicolelayne Tue, 05/01/2007 - 09:53

Oh I'm sorry, I interpreted your original message to mean that you got that "%%Low on memory, try again later" error on the console when someone tried to telnet.

nicolelayne Tue, 05/01/2007 - 10:14

The only thing I can think of is that you have a memory leak and you should upgrade your IOS (possibly through ROMMON/xmodem on a reboot).

These links show the error, but not in a 2924.

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help...

jasonrandolph Tue, 05/01/2007 - 15:55

Power-cycle the switch, it likely has a memory leak.

2924 switches cannot be upgraded as far as ram goes, so an upgrade of the image may be in order to keep this from re-occurring.

This Discussion