cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to Telnet or Console into 2924 Catalyst Switch

rohit.rastogi
Level 1
Level 1

Telnet for the above switch is not working. While accessing the switch via console following messages were being displayed on the HyperTerminal window

"%%Low on memory, try again later"

From the message it definitely relates to memory on the switch, but wanted to get the second opinion with such a massive networking community. Would appreciate if there is URL/Link detaling this fix be posted as well.

Cheers!!!

RR

7 Replies 7

Hieu Cao
Level 4
Level 4

It looks like that your switch is in need of a reboot and more RAM will help. I don't think that you can do much when you get that error message other than having to reboot the switch. Try upgrading it to a more current IOS; of course, that may require your switch to meet the min. memory requirement first.

hth

hieu

nicolelayne
Level 1
Level 1

It may help if you post a 'sh ver' and the part of your running configuration under 'line vty 0 4'.

As mentioned earlier that I can't get past the error message even on the console, so I don't know if there is any possibility of capturing your requested information such as "sh run" under "line vty 0 4" from the switch.

Oh I'm sorry, I interpreted your original message to mean that you got that "%%Low on memory, try again later" error on the console when someone tried to telnet.

The only thing I can think of is that you have a memory leak and you should upgrade your IOS (possibly through ROMMON/xmodem on a reboot).

These links show the error, but not in a 2924.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/relnotes/ol_9592.htm

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6441/prod_release_note09186a00807ce961.html

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help...

Power-cycle the switch, it likely has a memory leak.

2924 switches cannot be upgraded as far as ram goes, so an upgrade of the image may be in order to keep this from re-occurring.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sounds like a memory leak , switch reboot will fix this .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card