Views
Helpful
Replies

What is with the (boot) ?

saidfrh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a 2501 router. I get the following when starting the router.

RouterB(boot)#

What is with the (boot) ?

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c), SOFTWARE

RouterB uptime is 1 minute

System restarted by power-on

Running default software

cisco 2500 (68030) processor (revision N) with 6144K/2048K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID 06160672, with hardware revision 00000000

X.25 software, Version 2.0, NET2, BFE and GOSIP compliant.

1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface.

2 Serial network interfaces.

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

Configuration register is 0x2102

8 Replies 8

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

This is the boot image, which is used when the original IOS gets corrupted.

HTH, please rate if it does help,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi,

To recover from this issue, try downloading a vaild IOS via a tftp server:

hostname(boot)>enable

hostname(boot)#copy tftp flash

And then make sure that the IOS is on the flash

hostname(boot)#show flash

Then make sure that the config-register is set to 0x2102 (normal boot)

hostname(boot)(config)#config-register 0x2102

And then safely reload the router.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Mohammed,

The router does not recognize the "copy" command. Thus copy tftp flash does not work. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

The boot image is a subset of the Cisco IOS software that is used to download main Cisco IOS software images to the router using TFTP in recovery situations.

You can interact with this image through a command line interface signified by the prompt Router(boot)#.

Some platforms (Cisco 1600, 2500) have it in ROM, others (high-end routers) have it in bootflash. This image can be called xboot image, rxboot image, bootstrap image, or boot loader or helper image, which depends on your platform.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Said

If the router does not recognize the copy command check to see if it recognizes the tftpdnld command. This will also allow you to use tftp to load a new image.

The responses so far have assumed that the router got into (boot) mode because of corrupted image. But I think that there are a couple of questions to think about that may change this. (boot) mode can also be a result of setting the config register, for example 0x2101). Can you determine the setting of the config register? If it is a config register setting issue, then you may not need to load a new image but only need to set the config register to 0x2102.

Also it would be helpful to know if the router has ever successfully booted into normal mode. Have you had this router for a while or is it an new acquisition?

[edit] I see that after posting the question in this forum that you posted a follow up question in the LAN Switching and Routing forum with additional information. I suggest that any additional discussion be consolidated in the LAN forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

I have had this router for 3 years. I believe, I tried to change the memory. Thinking back, the problem may have originated after physically changing the memory with memory from a 2524.

The TFTP server is reachable using ping. The "copy" command is not recognized. The router does not accept copy tftp flash command.

RouterB(boot)#config t

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

RouterB(boot)(config)#int e0

RouterB(boot)(config-if)#ip address 172.16.10.1 255.255.255.0

RouterB(boot)(config-if)#no shut

RouterB(boot)(config-if)#end

RouterB(boot)#

%SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console

RouterB(boot)#ping 172.16.10.2

Type escape sequence to abort.

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 172.16.10.2, timeout is 2 seconds:

!!!!!

Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 4/203/1000 ms

RouterB(boot)#copy tftp flash

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

RouterB(boot)#config t

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

RouterB(boot)(config)#copy tftp flash

^

RouterB(boot)(config)#

Results of the ? command in privedged mode:

RouterB(boot)#copy ?

flh-log

RouterB(boot)#copy tftp flash

^

RouterB(boot)#

Said

The post in the other forum clearly shows that the config register is 0x2142. So the router is not in (boot) mode because of the config register. Especially if you have tried to change the memory, then the suggestions about loading a new image are probably the right solution.

Have you tried the tftpdnld command? I believe that either that or using xmodem over the console connection may be your alternatives at this point.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Said,

As Rick said, try tftpdnld and then xmodem (both are done from rommon not boot image):

?Console download (xmodem)?Use this method if the computer that is attached to your console has a terminal emulator that supports the Xmodem Protocol. See the "Downloading Files over the Router Console Port (xmodem)" section.

For more information about using the Xmodem protocol, see the Xmodem Console Download Procedure Using ROMmon at the following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/130/xmodem_generic.html

?TFTP download (tftpdnld)?Use this method if you can connect a TFTP server directly to the fixed LAN port on your router. See the "Recovering the System Image (tftpdnld)" section.

Note Recovering the system image is different from upgrading the system image. You need to recover the system image if it becomes corrupt or if it is deleted because of a disaster that affects the memory device severely enough to require deleting all data on the memory device in order to load a system image.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/prod_configuration_guide09186a00802c35e9.html

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card