Views
Helpful
Replies

%error deleting cat4000bootflash permission denied

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

hello

I have 4507R i cant delete the vlan.dat from the cat4000bootflah i receive the following

%error deleting cat4000bootflash permission denied

how can i solv it?

10xs

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ali,

Can you please issue a command "dir cat4000_flash:" and confirm me if you only see vlan.dat file there?

If you see only vlan.dat file issue a command ""erase cat4000_flash:"

I believe there is nothing other than 'vlan.dat' file in cat4000_flash:, so that will take care of it. You may need to reload the switch to see the vlans disappear.

HTH

Ankur

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ali

What is the exact command you are typing in ?

Can you also post output of "dir" command on 4500.

Thanks

Jon

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Just guessing, what is the VTP mode of this switch?

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Mohammed,

How would vtp domain would make a difference? just for peace of mind!!

Regards,

I think the poster said 'VTP MODE", if you are in "CLIENT", the vlan.dat file is a database built from a "VTP SERVER". Change your mode to "Trans" and try deleting it.

Or see the following:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/156.html#reset_vlan

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ali,

Can you please issue a command "dir cat4000_flash:" and confirm me if you only see vlan.dat file there?

If you see only vlan.dat file issue a command ""erase cat4000_flash:"

I believe there is nothing other than 'vlan.dat' file in cat4000_flash:, so that will take care of it. You may need to reload the switch to see the vlans disappear.

HTH

Ankur

hello all!

Ankur my freind u r a real expert;u have catched the Problem:this command "erase cat4000_flash: help me to delete the vlan.dat from the cat4000bootflash.

10xs Ankur 10xs for all

regards

Ali

but why the command delete 4000catbootflash:vlan.dat doesn't work?

Hi Ali,

The command "delete 4000catbootflash:vlan.dat" is a wrong command and there is no location like "4000catbootflash".

VLAN.dat on 4500 switches are stored in seperate location which is cat4000_flash so to delete this file you have to give exact location where file is stored.

HTH

Ankur

Hi!

10xs Ankur!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: