Views
Helpful
Replies

CONFIGURING FAX IN VG224

netkrish80
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to configure VG224 so that i can use my fax machine so send fax. The IP Telephony setup is connected only to the PSTN cloud. I tried configuring the VG224 as a MGCP gateway as well as SCCP. But i am not able to send fax. What protocol should i use for Fax in my setup? Please help me .

Krishna.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I would also recommend you attach screenshots for

a. the Port config under mgcp gateway in CM b. What partitions are listed under the CSS that is set under the gateway

c. also indicate what phones you are trying to dial and if that phone is in the appropriate partition or not.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

You may use fax relay t38 or cisco (default).

If using mgcp use following configs in VG224. What protocol do you run on your PRIs to the PSTN ? You will need to setup the same protocol for faxing on both sides. (PSTN gateways and VG224).

vg224 CONFIG:

--------following config enables t38, disable cisco fax relay and uses modem passthrough as backup-----

ccm-manager mgcp

no ccm-manager fax protocol cisco

ccm-manager music-on-hold

!

mgcp

mgcp call-agent 2427 service-type mgcp version 0.1

mgcp dtmf-relay voip codec all mode out-of-band

mgcp rtp unreachable timeout 1000 action notify

mgcp modem passthrough voip mode nse

mgcp ip qos dscp cs3 signaling

mgcp package-capability rtp-package

no mgcp package-capability res-package

mgcp package-capability sst-package

no mgcp package-capability fxr-package

no mgcp timer receive-rtcp

mgcp sdp simple

no mgcp fax t38 ecm

mgcp rtp payload-type g726r16 static

mgcp bind control source-interface FastEthernet0/0

mgcp bind media source-interface FastEthernet0/0

!

mgcp profile default

PSTN gateway config:

----------------------

a. If using MGCP you may put the same configs as above in the PSTN gateway.

b. If using H323 on the PSTN gateway, you will need the follwoing.

voice service voip

fax protocol t38 ls-redundancy 0 hs-redundancy 0 fallback cisco

h323

modem passthrough nse codec g711ulaw

dial-peer voice 2 voip

description Dialpeer to Match Incoming Voip leg

incoming called-number .

dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric

codec g711ulaw

fax-relay ecm disable

ip qos dscp cs3 signaling

no vad

HTH

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Hi Sankar,

Thanks a lot for your elaborate config with explanation. I will try this and let you know the results by tomorrow. I have one more query. I installed the VG224 as mgcp gateway and configured a analog phone. I was receiving the dial tone in the phone but when i tried dialing to other ip PHones i was not able to. Is there any specific config we need to do in vg224 for this to happen.

Krishna.

Is the port registered to callmanager ? do a sh mgcp endpoint.

Did you configure the DN for this phone in Callmanager under the gateway-> port. If yes, check the calling search space on the VG224 port configuration in callmanager to see if that has access to the partition in which other ip phones are.

HTH

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Sankar,

The ports got registeed to callmanager. CSS is also fine. When i call from the IP Phone to the Analog phone i can hear the phone ringing tone in the ip phone but actually the Analog phone is not ringing.

Then i tried with SCCP instead of MGCP in vg224. This time i can able to call from ip phone to analog. But the reverse is not working.

Regards

Krishna.

Krishna,

Try this.

no mgcp,

wait 5 seconds,

mgcp,

make sure after this, the port gets registered and then try placing a call from analog device to ip phone. What do you here when you pick up the handset and dial an ip phone's extension ?

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Sankar,

When i lift the analog phone handset i will hear dial tone but when i dial the first digit of the number i will get a busy tone.

I will reconfigure it as MGCP and try your solution.

Krishna.

Krishna,

It does not matter for an analog phone, how you configure it as MGCP or SCCP or H323. All will work.

For fax and modems, its preferred to use MGCP or H323.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Sankar,

If you use MGCP is it still possible to use SRST for failover?

Regards, Mike.

Sankar,

I had configured the vg224 as the mgcp gateway. Ports got registerd. when i lift the handset of the anlog phone i can able to hear the dial tone but not able to dial any other number. while dialing the number itself it gives a busy tone.

also did the no mgcp and mgcp config. No luck.

Krishna

Krishna,

This tells me that the issue is not the gateway but possibly the CSS or PT configurations. What number are you dialing first to hear the busy signal?

Do you use a prefix digit to access the trunks? Have you looked at your Call Manager route plan to make sure there are no issues there. Apparently the gateway or call manager think that the number is not in the route plan and are giving you a reorder tone.

I would look there.

Alan Basinger CCIE 7145

The VoIP Squad.

I would also recommend you attach screenshots for

a. the Port config under mgcp gateway in CM b. What partitions are listed under the CSS that is set under the gateway

c. also indicate what phones you are trying to dial and if that phone is in the appropriate partition or not.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Hi Sankar,

At last it worked. Thanks a lot for your help. Config is not the issue. The issue is in the krone patching. The port where the fax is connected was having issues. I enabled another port and in that it was working fine.

Thanks a lot.