cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Phone DNS Settings

zebranutz80
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone tell me where the 7960/7940 ip phone gets its DNS information from. In the Networkin Configuration of the phone I have a IP address for DNS Server 1. This IP address is incorrect and needs to be changed.

I have tried using "Unlocked Mode" in Net Config. I see the Edit button, but it is 'greyed out'. Plus, I am hoping to not have to touch all 500 phones to change this setting. I am hoping there is a global setting for this, but I have spent the past hour searching CCMAdmin without any luck.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It gets this value eiither from DHCP or from manual configuration. With this number of phones, it's very likely that you're using DHCP. Check the DHCP options for DNS.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It gets this value eiither from DHCP or from manual configuration. With this number of phones, it's very likely that you're using DHCP. Check the DHCP options for DNS.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

Sure enough...the Voice VLAN DHCP scope had the wrong settings. thanks

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Thomas,

Just wanted to send you this excellent doc that does go through the startup process etc;

Cisco Unified IP Phone Model 7960G and 7940G Administration Guide for Cisco Unified CallManager

Troubleshooting the Cisco Unified IP Phone

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a008070ddcd.html

Take care,

Rob