Wireless Location AP Density and Antenna Type

Unanswered Question
May 1st, 2007
User Badges:

Does anyone have recomendations for the density for AP's for use with WCS location? If I use the 3 AP's required for location triangulation in an area (300x200 feet) (with omni antennas) I get great wireless coverage throughout the area, but I get lousy location tracking. If I choose inspect location readiness most everything is red with only a couple little specs of green. If I add 3 more ap's (for 6 total) I get about 20 % of the area only showing location readiness in the green with everything else red. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how dense AP's should be for tracking and what the best antennas to use would be.

Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
NPT_2 Wed, 05/02/2007 - 12:45
User Badges:

I had seen that document, but now reviewed it in further depth. I find it interesting (and somewhat expensive) to see that for acurate location information Cisco recomends AP's every 50 linear feet. Running the planning mode recomends 26 AP's rather than the 6 I now have in place, even though the 6 provide great RF coverage, they don't seem sufficiant for location.

That being said if I do add 20 more AP's what would the best antennas for this application be? I'm assuming I should not use all 5 Db 1728 antennas as those are probably way overkill. What do you think?

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam
reason 440 driver failure
Cisco password cracker
Cisco Wireless mode