Views
Helpful
Replies

adding switch in a stack

csco123456
Level 1
Level 1

hey experts

i have 2 3750 switch in a stack. stack cable connections are; switch1-stack1 to switch2-stack2, switch1-stack2 to switch2-stack1. switch1 is master and switch2 is slave, if i need to add two more switch switch3 and switch4 as slave do i need to shutdown switch1 and switch2? if no need to shutdown, will it not screw up switch1 and switch2 if i remove the stack cable in switch1-stack2 to switch2-stack1 to add switch3 and switch4 then plug the stack cable in switch1-stack2 to switch4-stack1?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

YEAH you can go head in removing one of the stack cable on either one of the switch, it will never affect anything.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

jamilakhtar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friend,

NO, you don't have to turn off the existing stack at all. However, take a quick look at the link below.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml#stack3

HTH

Jamil

No, you need not have to TURN OFF the existing switch while adding a new switch in STACK, cisco 3750 stacking technology has been designed in such a way that when ever you connected a new switch in the stack, it automatically upgrades the IOS to the newly stacked switch. also you don't require any downtime for that new switch, it alone gets rebooted once the IOS is upgraded. you need not bother about the existing switches which is up & running.

hope your are clear.

rate this post if your satisfied.

hey experts

what i mean is because switch1 and switch2 is connected together in their stack1 and stack2 ports, is it safe to unplug the stack cable from switch1 and switch2 while it's power on?

check this link http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml#stack2 and see item 1 where two switch stack ports are connected together can i just remove one of the stack cable while the two switch is power on and insert two power off new slave switch, connect the stack cable accordingly like shown in item 4? won't it create problem on the stack ports of switch1 and switch2?

YEAH you can go head in removing one of the stack cable on either one of the switch, it will never affect anything.

thank you experts, ya all vry helpful

things looks so simple but could be dangerous. i just wonder why cisco didn't mention that in the doc, its like leaving it blur if something screw up can just say "i didn't specifically mentioned that didn't i" :0

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card