Views
Helpful
Replies

GLBP or HSRP for Internet Load Balancing

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

i will be using 2 Router, each router is connected to 2 different ISP. i wanted to have load balancing & also some of my public servers will be residing inside my network(via DMZ).using GLBP or HSRP is a good idea? or suggest me which will be useful.

3 Replies 3

Leo_Stobbe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

1.If you are redistributing the default routes from 2xISP into the your IGP, you can just redistribute them with the same metric to IGP . So all your internal L3 equipments will have 2xdefault routes in their routing table. It will cause load-balancing of INternet traffic.

2. If you routers the only routers in your network. You can use both HSRP and GLBP.

HSRP is good, when deployed in L2 area(with SPT), because you can virtually create load-balancing by choosing routers as HSRP active or standby routers for different vlans.

GLBP is good in L3 environment with its load-balancing feature by default

Hope it will help

Leo

jamilakhtar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

GLBP has a slight edge over the HSRP as long as you have the routers with compatible IOS. Following IOS are recommended.This will also help if the routers differ in capacity or links differ in bandwidth.

Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(14)S

? Release 12.2(27)SBC1

? Release 12.2(18)SXD on the Cisco Catalyst 6500 and 7600 Series Switches

? Releases 12.2(15)T, 12.3M, 12.3T, 12.4M and 12.4T

HTH

Regards,

Hi Leo,

as i mentioned, i will having 2 Routers with each connecting to different ISP, so GLBP would be the right choice am i right?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card