Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity IP Fax - Restricting Access?

cjhunt
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

I'm looking at implementing T.37 fax (onramp / outbound) where users email their document to the Unity fax service mailbox and this send it out the IOS gateway to PSTN.

I've been asked how it is possible to stop users from accessing this in order to get free fax service, when only specific users are to have this facility.

I can block all SMTP to the router with an ACL, and permit only the Unity / Exchange servers, but how do I stop users from mailing to the Unity IP Fax service?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Well. I would maybe setup a group and add the group as allowed to the user then add and remove people from the group in AD as you see fit. That way you're not always touching the user and its based on membership to the group...

But, that's just one way and I'm not the AD expert so I'm sure there are other, perhaps better ways.

--
-Mark Turpin

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark Turpin
Level 5
Level 5

Well sure. Just go out to the user in AD Users & Computers. Go to Exchange General - then to the Delivery Restrictions. Set who you'd like to be able to email to it there.

If you were emailing directly to the gateway, I'm not sure how you'd be able to limit that.

--
-Mark Turpin

Thanks for the reply.

It's encouraging that I can restrict in this way, although can you tell me if I'll have to make a change for each user, or whether it can be a "bulk" setting, or a blanket policy, so I can effectively do: Permit Some, Deny All?

I am not intending to email directly to the gateway, although it is possible - I'll be blocking unwanted SMTP by an ACL, so only the Unity / Exchange servers can talk to the gateway.

Regards,

Chris

Well. I would maybe setup a group and add the group as allowed to the user then add and remove people from the group in AD as you see fit. That way you're not always touching the user and its based on membership to the group...

But, that's just one way and I'm not the AD expert so I'm sure there are other, perhaps better ways.

--
-Mark Turpin

Thanks Mark,

Seems like I can do what is required - my customer can probably work the AD sufficiently to do this.

Thanks for the advice

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: