cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to get CHASSIS serial number for cisco routers using CLI

simonvyrdal
Level 1
Level 1

Does anybody know if Cisco has a document that describes how to determine the chassis serial number for cisco routers, similar to the one below for catalyst switches.

How to Determine the Serial Number of Catalyst Switch Components:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00801c1e9a.shtml

Thanks

Simon

9 Replies 9

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Commands differ in some platforms. You can try "show diag", however for 2600 routers, you need to visit the router physically :)

Dandy

Hi,

As Dandy said "show diag" shall do it, it gets the mainboard and the modules.

HTH, please rate if it does help,

Mohammed Mahmoud

Hi Dandy and Mohammed

Her is a show diag from a cisco 7204 showing slot0 - the main board. I don't think that Serial number 10938070 is ths CHASSIS S/N.

A label on the chassis showed this no. 74007342

Slot 0:

Fast-ethernet on C7200 I/O card with MII or RJ45 Port adapter, 1 port

Port adapter is analyzed

Port adapter insertion time 3y12w ago

EEPROM contents at hardware discovery:

Hardware revision 1.2 Board revision A0

Serial number 10938070 Part number 73-2956-02

FRU Part Number: C7200-IO-FE-MII/RJ45=

Test history 0x0 RMA number 00-00-00

EEPROM format version 1

EEPROM contents (hex):

0x20: 01 83 01 02 00 A6 E6 D6 49 0B 8C 02 00 00 00 00

0x30: 50 00 00 00 98 10 13 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

Regards

Simon

for cisco72xx try

show c7200 -> Mid Plane serial Number

or

show version -> Processor Board ID

this will show the SN used by RME 'Detailed Device Report' for cisco7206

(but on the system i currently have access to, 'Detailed Device Report' does not show SN for 7204 - just for 7206)

to get the value with SNMP it should be the following one drawn from the OLD-CISCO-CHASSIS-MIB:

to get more information for the device start the snmpwalk with

SNMP getnext 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.3.6.3 gave me

1.3.6.1.4.1.9.3.6.3.0=JAD070808BL (3400006773)

which is also returned by show version

Processor board ID JAD070808BL

Now in this case I know that the CHASSIS S/N is JMX0712F03R

To get the chassis id from SNMP you must configure in the IOS

snmp-server chassis-id

It seems that there are no way to get the router S/N from the CLI unless you configure snmp-server chassis-id .

This is also confirmed using the "Cisco Product Identification Tool"

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/CPI/index.do

Simon is right on with his solution... I wouldn't say it's /never/ correct in IOS but the only way to do this 100% accurately is to physically get the serial number off the box and then enter it in snmp-server chassis-id like Simon has pointed out.

You can NEVER trust the information from IOS or RME or anywhere else.... I spent alot of time at my last company getting these all correct in SNMP so we could utilize the ciscoworks reports for smartnet usage/renewal.

Hi,

There is a downside with physically checking it. I have two PIX 515 bought 5 years ago with consecutive number like the example below;

FW1 Physical S/N: ABCD1234

FW2 Physical S/N: ABCD1235

But they don't tally with the command line output as shown like the example below (its the other way around);

FW1 CLI S/N: ABCD1235

FW2 CLI S/N: ABCD1234

After checking, I found out that whoever put the S/N sticker made a mistake.

But of course, before putting the device in production, better write down important information like S/N, hostname, location, model, vendor, OS, etc...

Many years ago, vendors put the S/N sticker on top or underneath their devices (any vendor). If you forgot to write it down before rack mounting or putting the devices to production - you will have to borrow a mirror from the dentist. This is always happen as some deployment people doesn't care about anything but to put the devices to production no matter what (with a view of a thrown spaghetti in the rack the way they put network and power cables).

Dandy

lannbolding
Level 1
Level 1

Login into your router.  --> ENABLE --> SHOW LIC UDI

This will show you the chasis SN#

You have latched on to a thread that is 6 years old ! Why not start a new thread to offer this advice?

The command that you suggest would work only with devices running very recent versions of code. There are a lot of devices in the field for which your command will not work.

HTH

Rick

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: