cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 3 switched campus backbone - VTP domains

j.lipsett
Level 1
Level 1

The above implements layer 3 routing in the core layer. VTP is a layer two protocol, therefore each switch block connecting to the core has its on VTP domain? or can the VTP domain span all switch blocks over the routed core?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

If each switch block is routed then yes your normal routing protocol will allwo you to communicate between switch blocks.

If you mean management you could either create a management vlan within each switch block and propogate via your IGP or you could just use loopbacks.

Hope i've understood the question.

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

If the switch block is using layer 3 uplinks to the core then each switch block will have it's own VTP domain and they will effectively be isolated from each other.

If the uplinks are L2 then you can use the same VTP domain across your entire switched network.

HTH

Jon

Hi Jon

Thanks for you answer. one more thing, if each VTP domain is on a diffrent network, can you then communicate via layer three routing as each distrubution switch in the switch block will connect to the core switch hence advertising connected network? how would you commmunicate between switch blocks?

Hi

If each switch block is routed then yes your normal routing protocol will allwo you to communicate between switch blocks.

If you mean management you could either create a management vlan within each switch block and propogate via your IGP or you could just use loopbacks.

Hope i've understood the question.

Jon

Joh

Thanks, I think I get it now. I'm sudying for CCDP and looking at design implementations, cisco recommend Layer 3 routing from the dist edge to the core and within the core for a Medium/Large campus. I just wanted to know how each user access block would communicate with the server block over a layer 3 routed Dist/core backbone.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card