cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unified Messaging with W2003 R2 harddrive sizing!!!

jolo07310
Level 5
Level 5

We have two new MCS 7835 with two 72.8G and 2.0G memory.

We are running UM with exchange 2003 now, however, the existing UM is old, so we bought two new servers to replace the old one and make it failover.

Cut the long story short. According the documenation, I just need assign 8.0G harddrive size to windows 2003 standard R2. Can I assign more than 8.0G?? Since my old UM server have two 18.0G is running windows 2000 now, and only 2.0G left at 8.0G partition.

Now, I have two 72.8G, Can I assign more space for OS?? Any suggestions will be appreicated.

Thanks for help!!

Ken

4 Replies 4

ranpierce
Level 6
Level 6

Cisco documentation still says to install with 8 gig. Larger is up to you.

rlp

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yup, you can do anything you want with the C: drive. Make it bigger, make it smaller.. its up to you. Typcically though, if this box is only used for Unity and should only be used for Unity, then 8-12 gig will suffice. Unity is simply a piece of software running on top of 2003. Its not going to shut down if you size your drive on C: to 9 gigs or whatever.

Thanks guys,

Since the unity is UM, and the message store will be at Exchange server...

So I will create 16.0G at C: for OS only, the rest of space D: will install Unity and SQL.

Thanks

Ken

Install all the apps, Unity, Exchange, SQL on the D drive. The reason being, if you do install to C, then if the logs in SQL or Exchange grow, your C drive will fill up very quickly.

Also, with Exchange, if there is a way to run a backup, it will clear all the Exchange logs. Exchange logs get marked for deletion if they get backed up. If they are not backed up, then it will just keep growing (these 5-6 meg files) There are Exchange/SQL best practices to follow per Microsoft. (not just Cisco) To keep your SQL database and Exchange priv/pub and log files tip top shape