cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating from 4006 (Sup II) to 4506 (Sup IV)

kmcreynolds
Level 1
Level 1

It appears that the only tools for moving Hybrid code (CatOS) to Native (IOS) are available for the 6500. Is this correct?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008070f124.shtml

In this scenario the supervisor and L3 card are being traded in (replaced with Sup IV) and the other modules will be re-used.

Current 4006 Modules:

Hardware Version: 6.2 Model: WS-C4006

Mod Port Model Serial # Versions

--- ---- ------------------ -------------------- ---------------------------------

1 2 WS-X4013 Hw : 6.2

Gsp: 8.4(2.0)

Nmp: 8.4(2)GLX

2 34 WS-X4232-L3

Hw : 1.5

3 48 WS-X4148-RJ

Hw : 2.3

4 6 WS-X4306

Hw : 2.0

6 24 WS-X4424-GB-RJ45

Hw : 1.5

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Friend,

Yes you are right that currently only CAT6K sup engines can be converted from CATOS to Native IOS and sup engine 1 & 2 on Cat4k switches cannot be convrted and can only run CATOS.

SUP engine 2+,3,4, & 5 only run IOS so you have to replace you existing sup engine and 4232 L3 blade and as you mentioned you will be putting sup 4 you can use your remaining line cards.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

View solution in original post

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Yes, the Catalyst 4500/4000 Series Supervisor II-Plus, III, IV and V runs Cisco IOS? software only, and does not run Catalyst OS software. While Supervisor 1 and 2 runs only CatOS and can't be converted, and you can reuse the other modules.

HTH, please rate if it does help,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

I have swapped out the SUP 2 for the SUP IV in 4 CAT 4000 switches. The conversion tool does work but will not convert every command, you will have to manually change some of the config files.

Also check the release notes for the supported HW rev?s of the 4000 modules ( 4306, 4148) ? older modules may not work with current IOS release.

6 Replies 6

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sup 1 and 2 in cat 4006 are catos only and cannot be converted .

Hi Friend,

Yes you are right that currently only CAT6K sup engines can be converted from CATOS to Native IOS and sup engine 1 & 2 on Cat4k switches cannot be convrted and can only run CATOS.

SUP engine 2+,3,4, & 5 only run IOS so you have to replace you existing sup engine and 4232 L3 blade and as you mentioned you will be putting sup 4 you can use your remaining line cards.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

I think that what he is asking is not whether a Sup2 can run IOS, but whether there is a tool to assist in the conversion from CatOS to IOS on an existing switch with the replacement of the Sup.

He is taking an existing 4006 with Sup2, removing the Sup2 and L3 card, and replacing it all with a Sup4. Is there a tool to convert all the configuration information of Sup2 CatOS and L3 card IOS into a unified IOS config that can be used on the Sup4?

It would be nice if a tool like this existed, but I have not seen one before. Manually converting it is a bit of a pain. Cisco must have some code to do this since they can automate it on the 6500. It is probably just not tested for the 4500.

Josh

Hi,

Yes there is a conversion tool "Cisco EDI CatOS to IOS Configuration Conversion Tool":

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a0080816fbc.shtml

P.S: I've used it for 6500, but i think that it might also work for the 4000, please do check it out.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Yes, the Catalyst 4500/4000 Series Supervisor II-Plus, III, IV and V runs Cisco IOS? software only, and does not run Catalyst OS software. While Supervisor 1 and 2 runs only CatOS and can't be converted, and you can reuse the other modules.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

I have swapped out the SUP 2 for the SUP IV in 4 CAT 4000 switches. The conversion tool does work but will not convert every command, you will have to manually change some of the config files.

Also check the release notes for the supported HW rev?s of the 4000 modules ( 4306, 4148) ? older modules may not work with current IOS release.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card