Views
Helpful
Replies

sticky group timer?

steve-hong
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

What is the timer in the sticky group do? It is an idle timer or cache timer? I am using source ip based sticky on one of my vserver. there are two reals behind it and only two front end (proxy) web servers that hits it. when I remove one of the real (serverA), all the connection sourced by the two web server goes to the other real(serverB). When I bring back serverA, I don't see any connection going to it. I think that's because the two front end web servers are being "stuck" to serverB. When I view the sticky table, I see the specific group with a timer value that's decreasing. I'm tempted to change the sticky timer to 1 (minute) but am not sure it it's a idle timer or a cache timer.

example config:

sticky 130 netmask 255.255.255.255 timeout 30

vserver backend_App

virtual x.x.x.x

server x

sticky 30 group 130

thanks,

Steve

3 Replies 3

The timeout specifies the period of time that the sticky information is kept in the sticky tables. The sticky timer for a specific entry is reset each time when a new connection matching that entry is opened.

Syed

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Steve,

sticky source-ip when there is only 2 ip coming in is not a very good solution.

If we are talking http, you should check the possibility to use cookie.

If your servers do not have a cookie that can be used for stickyness, then I would suggest to use the cookie-insert feature of the CSM allowing the CSM to generate is own cookie.

Gilles.

thanks. that's what i ended up doing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: