cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ADSL connectivity troubleshooting

bradlesliect
Level 1
Level 1

I am having to problems with the ADSL at one of my client sites. The line is connected and the reliability on the line is 255/255. The rx/tx load is minimal and there no cpu hog but the line is extremely slow.

Any idea what could be causing this? How would I debug errors on the line?

Using a Cisco 877W ADSL Router

8 Replies 8

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

It might not be a router problem at all, ADSL is a shared service which implies oversubscribing, what is the agreed up on ADSL service ratio.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

I realise that. When we request a 1MB ADSL line with our Telco here, they automatically make it a 4MB. I need to prove to our Telco that its a line problem and not a router problem.

Hi,

You can past your configuration and show interfaces if you wish to try to figure out if there is any configuration problem or interface problems, any way does your provider supply you with some kind of bandwidth monitoring tools, if not you can use CyberGauge to prove to your provider that you can't utilize your bandwidth.

HTH, please rate if it does help,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

How would CyberGauge monitor the dialer interface on the router? Could we not use a netflow application tool to do that?

Hi,

CyberGauge uses snmp, and it is visualized and easy to use, check it up:

http://www.neon.com/CGwin.shtml

HTH, please rate if it does help,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Solarwinds has something similar as well.

Hi,

Do like the average user does. Go to dslreports.com, click tools and then bandwidth test. Choose the nearest / less busy server. You will be presented with the results comparing to other IPs for the same provider. From there you can discern if it is a problem on your line only, or other users are slow as well.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

phimikste
Level 1
Level 1

I spoke to a Cisco engineer and apparently the 887W has 'known issues' with certain DSLAMs. i'd contact your isp and ask what type of DSLAM you're connecting to and report it to Cisco Support to see if they know of a resolution.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card