cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3560 and VTP

IgorHamzic
Level 1
Level 1

I have a following situation at work.I have a Cisco 3560 switch that is part of a VTP domain(client mode) and needs replacing.I have received it's replacement(also a Cisco 3506).

Before copying the configuration from the old switch I was thinking of connecting the new switch to the network as a VTP client to get all the VLAN information from the VTP domain and then copying on it the old configuration before replacing the old switch.

Am I correct in assuming that this will work in this way or should something else be done?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

5 Replies 5

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

Before putting new switch into the network make sure its config revision number is set to 0 or else it will update the network with its vlan database information.

SO if your VTP server is having config revision number as 20 and new switch has 30 it will overwrite VTP server switch with its own vlan database information which may bring your network to hault.

I will always recommend to change new switch VTP mode to transparent and then back to client which will bring VTP config revision number to 0 and then connect reconfirm the config revision number via console and then put it into the network.

You mentioned you are replacing 3560 with 3506 switch? 3560 is pretty new switches and I am not sure about 3506 switches? Any particular reason for replacing switches?

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

It is a typo.I'm replacing a 3560 with a 3560 switch.The switch I'm replacing is on loan to our company and has to be returned.

I've checked the revision number and it's set to 0 so I think I can safely put it into client mode.

Thanks though for the info on changing the client mode to transparent to reset revision number.

Anything else I should be aware of?

Hi Friend,

If config revision is 0 make sure VTP domain name and password matches fine and if all is set you are good to go.

Just a note I saw you mentioned once you add this new switch into the network then you will copy the config from old switch before taking old switch out. Just take care as there can be IP confict for few secodns till the time you take your old switch out of network.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

I don't think that will be an issue. Once I configure my new switch I'll take out the old switch first and then replace it with the new switch so there shouldn't be an IP conflict.

The replacement will also be done when there are no users on that network segment(late at night or early in the morning).

Perfect

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: