Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 SupII IOS upgrade from 12.1 to 12.2

shah.chintan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

6500 sup2/MSFC right now running with 12.1(26)E5 and now i want to upgrade to 12.2(18)SXD.

I have active and standby sup with RPR+ redudancy mode.

Can i follow below step:

1. copy the 12.2 image in disk0 and slavedisk0

2. change boot with 12.2

3. wr mem

4. reload standby sup , so it will come up with 12.2 ios

5. redudancy force switchover so that standby become active and active will reload with 12.2 ios and come as standby..

Is it correct ?

OR Can any one provide me procedure ?

Thanks in advance.

chintan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Chintan,

4507R was my typo.

Anyways for your switches which is 6500 when you are running 2 sups the status of standby module will be disaplyed as

RPR - 'Show module' will show 'Cold'

RPR+ - 'Show module' will show 'Warm'

SSO - 'Show module' will show 'Hot'

Because your release supports SSO standby sup is showing you as HOT status.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Chintan,

You are following exactly what is mentioned in procedures so you are good to go.

You must be knowing this but I am mentioning the command to reset the standby module to load with new image

Router# hw-module {module num} reset

Note: Before reloading the redundant supervisor engine, make sure you wait long enough to ensure that all configuration synchronization changes have completed.

To be on safer side make sure you set the config register value also to 0x2102 before setting the boot path.

HTH

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

I have tried the same procedure while reseting the standby it comes to rommon and give me this error in active

May 3 12:08:03.906 CDT: SP: pf_redun_version_check: SP VERSION DIFFERENT

Can you please suggest ?

rgds,

chinatn

Hi Chintan,

Actually it's not an error, this line provides you an information that 2 sups are running different IOS version and thus will work only in RPR mode.

I believe because you upgrade the standby sup with new image and reloaded the standby sup it should come up with new image and at that time the 2 sups are running different image and will only support RPR mode and you will see this message on active sup.

But as you mentioned it comes up in rommon it makes me believe that something wrong had happened while upgrade. May be wrong boot path is set ot may be corrupted image on standby sup. So console into standby sup and check the status and issue manual boot command and see if it comes up online and goes into standby state and then recheck the boot path.

HTH

Ankur

Ankur,

I have checked all boot variable and image size etc even replaced active sup flash card to stanby sup swap.

However, i tried to reload whole MLS in this case Active sup came with 12.2 image and standby came up as (hot)

1 2 Catalyst 6000 supervisor 2 (Hot) WS-X6K-S2U-MSFC2 SAL0749QEGC

2 2 Catalyst 6000 supervisor 2 (Active) WS-X6K-S2U-MSFC2 SAL0749QEFW

I dont know why it came like this....

rgds,

chintan

Howerver while connecting to console it comes as MLS-88-1-sdby>

but show moduel show as (hot).

rgds,

chintan

Hi Chintan,

In Cat6500 in new releases from 12.2 HOT means standby state so you are good here only convention has changed.

HTH

Ankur

What is 4507R release.

I'm using 12.2(18)SXD7 , supII/MSFC2.

I have also seen once Warm state..what it indicate ?

rgds,

chintan

Hi Chintan,

4507R was my typo.

Anyways for your switches which is 6500 when you are running 2 sups the status of standby module will be disaplyed as

Because your release supports SSO standby sup is showing you as HOT status.

HTH

Ankur

Ankur,

This is very much valuable information for me . I appericiate your support and very much thankful.

I'll get back to you if I face any issue in this.

Thanks a lot

Chintan.

Ankur,

Could you direct me to any Cisco link which gives this imformation ?

Thanks again

rgds,

chintan

Hi Chintan,

I don't have a direct link which will say RPR is for COLD and so on but the link which I have posted below will explain what is COLD, WARM and HOT and if you read the explaination of these states and as you already know RPR , RPR+ and SSO operation you can corelate between them.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk869/tk769/technologies_white_paper0900aecd801778e8.shtml

HTH

Ankur

Thanks Ankur.

Rgds,

Chintan

Chintan,

That's Normal (hot) for standby sup.The IOS that you are running on Active sup which with 12.2 train, will list the standby sup as HOT. The 12.2 train no more lists it as a stanby. There a slight naming convention changed for the stanby sup to "hot".

-amit singh

Thanks amit for your help.

Rgds,

Chintan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: