cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CM 4.0.6 User tracker/vrf network

u346874_2
Level 1
Level 1

Any idea why ut cant see ip vrf forwarding network. Ut does not show end hosts of that vrf network hosts at all.(no mac adress of ports and nothing at all) Vrf router is WS-C6506-E and end users are connected to WS-C4507R switch.

SNMP goes okay to both switches from LMS server(E.g. snmpwalk)

Vrf router WS-C6506-E does not show mac adresses/ip addresses of those end hosts if i enter "sho arp". If i enter "sho ip arp vrf [Forwarding instance name} i can see all end hosts mac and ip information.

thanks

Juha

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, this is the main problem. The current process only uses this MIB to get the required information from the router and you cannot change this behaviour. You have no chance to change this process of CM - you rely on a patch or upgrade from Cisco on this issue! (...it is more a feature enhancement...)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

this paper was written for Campus 3.x but the basic principals are still the same:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps563/products_tech_note09186a0080094949.shtml#s7

there you can read:

"ANI contacts each router connected to the subnet of the discovered host and queries the ARP table using the ipNetToMediaEntry table from the RFC1213-MIB. ARP tables are often very large. ANI only polls those interfaces that are connected to subnets where hosts are discovered. "

And I don't think that the RFC1213-MIB does have any information about vrf arp tables ...

I assume, that currently there is no process implemented in campus to support this functionality...

the question is "is it planned??"- when I asked I never did get an answer...

this could become a big issue for UserTracking as more and more enterprise customers implement MPLS;

All I can say is that this is planned. However there is no estimated date for integration, and the roadmap could change at any moment.

thanks for this info!

I think this point should be pushed forward a little more. I know that this is always an issue for customers when they discuss the introduction of MPLS in their network - is LMS ready to still meet the needs? If not they start thinking and looking around for alternatives...

UT is one of the mostly loved apps in LMS.

Hi

And thanks for answers. Is the main problem the vrf arp table which is not included to RFC1213-MIB or should i look into somenthing else. Both switches are reachable state i CM.

Juha

Yes, this is the main problem. The current process only uses this MIB to get the required information from the router and you cannot change this behaviour. You have no chance to change this process of CM - you rely on a patch or upgrade from Cisco on this issue! (...it is more a feature enhancement...)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: