Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade Cat6506 Sup2 to the release 122-18.SX

Hi all,

I am trying to upgrade my Cat6506 Sup2 to the release 122-18.SX but I am unable to load it from the disk0: Do I need to do something special in order to load this IOS? I alredy tried the command:

boot system disk0:s222-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF8.bin

but it didn't take it, it always boots from the sup-bootflash.

Thanks for the help

9 Replies 9

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Trying to remember off the top of my head is there a sup-disk0 ? If so then that is where the boot statement should point to . This would also have to be the first boot statement , it will load the first location it can find .

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Glen,

The bootvariable should be the same as used by the original poster.

The majority of the time when this type of error is seen device does not contain a valid magic number especially on new compact disk cards this is due to a formatting error. The resolution is to format the flash card and

reload the image. You can also check you have the same image name in the disk0: as specified in the boot variable.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Hi Amit,

I did the following:

- Format de disk0:

- Load again the file form a tftp server

- Configure the bootvar to load the image from the disk0:

- Reload the switch

..but the switch still loads the IOS stored in the sup-bootflash. I capture all the process in the file I am attaching so you can have a look at it.

Another thing I noticed is that in rommon there is no 'disk0:' listed when I issue the command 'dev', is this something I need to take care of?

I am running the following ROM version:

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(17r)S5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

I hope you can help me

thanks!

Hi Vincente,

Can you please paste me the output of "remote command switch show bootvar"?

Regards,

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

Here is the command:

refa04-ls4#remote command switch show bootvar

BOOT variable = disk0:s222-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF8.bin,12

CONFIG_FILE variable =

BOOTLDR variable =

Configuration register is 0x2101

refa04-ls4#

Thanks

Vicente

Hi Vicente,

Can you go to config mode and then set the config register once again to 0x2102 and check the output with same command and if you see 0x2102 in this command which is 0x2101 right now, TRY RELOAD after wr mem and see if it works.

Regards,

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

I upgrade the rom version on the sup in order to see the disk0:, then I followed your sugestions and the supervisor is booting the new IOS but when the MSFC boots it crashes after loading the new image. I capture the booting process if you can to look at it, I hope you can help me.

Regards.

Vicente

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I think the problem that we have is the bootstarp verion or rommon verion running on Sup2. The rommon version that you have is 6.1(3), which doesnot support 64 MB ATA flash adaptor. We need to upgrade the rommon version on Sup2 to atleast 7.1(1) to support the ATA adaptor.

Please see the same information on the below link :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_release_note09186a008007f706.html#146316

Here's the link for the file:

cat6000-sup2-rm2.7-1-1.srec

http://ftp-sj.cisco.com/cisco/lan/catalyst/6000/rommon/cat6000-sup2-rm2.7-1-

1.srec

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Hi Amit,

I upgrade de rom version on the supervisor (I have done it for the MSFC but not for the supervisor).

Now I can see the disk0: with the command 'dev' in rommon.

I boot the image from the disk but the switch crashes and went to rommon again, I had to boot the old IOS image from the bootflash in order to bring it up again. I am inlcuding the capture of the booting process, hope you can give me an advise.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco