Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking to Upgrade after Re-Wiring

b-cogswell
Level 1
Level 1

Office is needing a major Overhaul...

Currently the office is daisy chained together but we moved the Servers to a Rack and now almost all client machines have about 5 hops to the server approximately..

the closest 30 have still got 2 hops minimum.

The wiring project will bring them all to within 2 hops max if I get my way.

We are an engineering firm with Gig E all the way to the desktops. Again currently its daisy chained together with Netgear Unmanaged Switches and we're not seeing the through put that Gig Should have. Also I can't aggregate my Ports on the servers like I should be doing.

Questions...

Cost Effective Solutions for IDF's and MDF

In MDF I need 24 Ports with 4 Fiber Ports (Possibly 20+4 Fiber would be acceptable, but want the switch to be stackable if the Rack Grows again)

In IDF "1" I need 96 Ports ~ 72 In Use constantly and growing every 12 months

I will also need minimum 2 Fiber ports to aggregate to the MDF over my existing 4 strand fiber link. Remember Cost Effective. If a Chassis with blade switches is better then I need to know

In IDF "2" I only need 48 Ports non-stacked with 2 Minimum Fiber ports no Aggregation needed only about 35 In use constantly.

Diagrams attached with basic info on the current layout - also another layout of my vision...

Looking for recommendations for this as well as a good add-on for wireless.

POE option might be good as well but not sure. POE can go Gigabit at 300'?!?

Also need to make sure the stacks are seen as a slngle switch and with plenty of bandwidth on the uplink stack.

Thx a million for reading this far! Hope I'm not too scattered on my vision!

2 Replies 2

irisrios
Level 6
Level 6

As far the wireless is concerned you could choose Light Weight access Architecture which controllers and Lap.In whichever room the wired clients would be denser there we could deploy controllers. For more information refer URL

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6306/products_qanda_item09186a00806a4da3.shtml#lap

robert.wright
Level 1
Level 1

You really want to take a look at the 4500 series catalyst switches for the density you want to do. 4503 and/or 4506s are the models

Yes you could do 2960s and it would work... But in a few years your going be right back where you started.

Wireless, you would be doing overkill with a controller. Look at the 1240AGs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: