cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic question on BGP running on Core Layer switch??

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Folks, can you help me here?

Please find pasted two questions on the diagram attached. Thanks again.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

The Cat 4500 switch might be running BGP, in order for the 7200 and the Backup router to be able to run iBGP together (if the switch is acting as a layer3 switch and not a layer 2 switch).

When talking about replacing the T1s with fiber, why eliminating the 7200 ?

HTH, please rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

From a campus design point of view, fiber is associated to switches for reasons of performance. Probably the 4700 can do most what the 7200 does, but if you think you may need more features or a real router for whatever reason, keep the 7200. If you have traffic enough, you will need NPE-G1 or G2 on it.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

We could explain more if we know what is configured in the backup router on top.

I have some hunch. Maybe the backup router on top is not running BGP and is used as hop router? The Cat4500 is running eBGP multihop through the backup router (top) path because the Cat4500 doesn't have T1 interface/module?

If you replace the two T1 connected to 7200 Router with Fibre, how about the T1 connected to Cat6509?

Fibre cost justification:

- You can use the 7200 router for other purposes

- The annual operation and hardware maintenance cost of the 7200 router is higher than the fibre port

- Simplify the design and routing configuration

Dandy

I see that hte "router" on the top is running BGP as well. It is also configured for VPN.

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

The Cat 4500 switch might be running BGP, in order for the 7200 and the Backup router to be able to run iBGP together (if the switch is acting as a layer3 switch and not a layer 2 switch).

When talking about replacing the T1s with fiber, why eliminating the 7200 ?

HTH, please rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks Mohammed.

That's was the proposal from one of the engineers. Can you think of any reason why the fiber pipe would make me get rid of the 7200 and connect the fiber device-> copper directly to the 4700 switch? I don't see a correlation there...

From a campus design point of view, fiber is associated to switches for reasons of performance. Probably the 4700 can do most what the 7200 does, but if you think you may need more features or a real router for whatever reason, keep the 7200. If you have traffic enough, you will need NPE-G1 or G2 on it.

How about security? Isn't the current design (fiber->7200 router->Core 4700 switch) considered a significantly more secure design?

By the way, how do you call the servide provider fiber equipment installed by the service provider in the Customer Premises? Is that considered a 'transceiver' or switch perhaps?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco