cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voip Network

dangal.43
Level 1
Level 1

I have 86 host with IP phone and want to design the network using 6500 and 4507 series switch, any idea or suggestion.

How can i start working on it as well as any good design of VLAN as well as redundancy. will 4507 support the enough port density. I will have 6500 as wan switch and 4507 will be connected with 6500.

if possible then also give me good device selection tips.

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You can use 4507R with CPU redundancy.I have tested the 4507R HA CPU failover with NSF/SSO enabled between the sup engines with voice call active. No voice calls dropped and no video calls dropped during the failover.

You can use 4500 at the access and 6500 ate the core/distribution.

Please use the Cisco power calculator for power budgeting on the chassis with the linecards and IP phone models.

http://tools.cisco.com/cpc/launch.jsp

HTH,

-amit singh

View solution in original post

You can use HSRP if you have 2 chassis at the access/distribution layer.If you have a single chassis with 2 Sup's use NSF/SSO. If you have two chassis you single sup in each and configure them for HSRP.I did use the HSRP between the 2 chassis and result were almost the same. I was using RSTP between the access/distribution and the cire switches.

You have to enable QOS end-end, For eaxmple on all the phone ports connected to 4507 and also on 6500 if you some ip hones there as well. I would suggest to use" Auto-QOS" feature on the switches.

You are right about the point that you made in the post above regarding the design.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

It depends on what kind of HA you want to build into your solution. I have a lots of customer of mine who are using a single chassis with 2 CPU's at access layer and using the intra chassis CPU redundancy. In this design your chassis and the switch module becomes the single point of failure.If your network is more critical then you can use two chassis and run them in HSRP, this will give you CPU,Modules and chassis level redundnacy which means more HA bulitin to the solution.

If you distance is not much, you can use copper gig connectivity but if the distance is more then you have to use Fiber.

-amit singh

** Please rate all the posts **

Ideally the solution on 3560's and 3750' can vary based on the requirement. But just to give an idea thay can support the same user base as 4500's. These switch lacks a lots of HA fatures like CPU redundancy, PS redundancy. Yes, you have to use HSRP level HA only.

For uplink connectivity you can use 4306GB or 4306GB-T on 4500. You can use 6516, 6816 or 6724-SFP on 6500 for connectivity.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_data_sheet0900aecd802109ea.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html#gigabit

HTH,Please rate all the posts.

-amit singh

14 Replies 14

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

The design could be u r 6500 can act as a core switch and u can use u r 4507 to connect users and ip phones.Make sure that u r 4507 supports POE for ip phones.

U can define two vlans one for data and one for voice.it means u need to have two subnets seprate for each.

u can use a single port on the switch for connecting both u r ip phone and system,but make sure that they are in different subnets.

u can configure u r switch port in data vlan as well as voice vlan.

u can use u r 4507 or 6500 for routing purposes.

Thanks

Mahmood

And what about redundancy options. How many 4507 do i need for 86 user. single 4507 will be sufficient with the supervisor engine redundancy. Can i use two blad of 48 port in single 4507 switch?

Hi

yes u can use sup redundancy,and u can use 2 blades of 48 port.

Thanks

Mahmood

You can use 4507R with CPU redundancy.I have tested the 4507R HA CPU failover with NSF/SSO enabled between the sup engines with voice call active. No voice calls dropped and no video calls dropped during the failover.

You can use 4500 at the access and 6500 ate the core/distribution.

Please use the Cisco power calculator for power budgeting on the chassis with the linecards and IP phone models.

http://tools.cisco.com/cpc/launch.jsp

HTH,

-amit singh

so what about device level redundancy like HSRP? does HSRP works fine with VOIP?

CPU redundancy will hendel all the redundancy option. as well as i think i have to enable the QOS feature on the 4507 so core switch 6500 will not have to worry about the all those right!!! its like three model design but my distribution and access layer is combine using 4507 right!!!

You can use HSRP if you have 2 chassis at the access/distribution layer.If you have a single chassis with 2 Sup's use NSF/SSO. If you have two chassis you single sup in each and configure them for HSRP.I did use the HSRP between the 2 chassis and result were almost the same. I was using RSTP between the access/distribution and the cire switches.

You have to enable QOS end-end, For eaxmple on all the phone ports connected to 4507 and also on 6500 if you some ip hones there as well. I would suggest to use" Auto-QOS" feature on the switches.

You are right about the point that you made in the post above regarding the design.

-amit singh

so you mean to say that if i will have CPU level redundancy then i do not need to have other 7507 with HSPR

so HSRP redundancy and CPU redundancy both will be the same function right!!!

so what will you like to have uplink between 4507 and 6500 it should be GBIC or any other good option?

It depends on what kind of HA you want to build into your solution. I have a lots of customer of mine who are using a single chassis with 2 CPU's at access layer and using the intra chassis CPU redundancy. In this design your chassis and the switch module becomes the single point of failure.If your network is more critical then you can use two chassis and run them in HSRP, this will give you CPU,Modules and chassis level redundnacy which means more HA bulitin to the solution.

If you distance is not much, you can use copper gig connectivity but if the distance is more then you have to use Fiber.

-amit singh

** Please rate all the posts **

Amit one last question

so what network size will be the perfect one if i want to go for 3560 or 3750 and i think in those switches you have to deal with only HSRP level redundancy right!!!

and will you please sugess the some good module for the uplink connectivity for 4500 and 6500?

and can i have your email id (if you dont mind)?

Ideally the solution on 3560's and 3750' can vary based on the requirement. But just to give an idea thay can support the same user base as 4500's. These switch lacks a lots of HA fatures like CPU redundancy, PS redundancy. Yes, you have to use HSRP level HA only.

For uplink connectivity you can use 4306GB or 4306GB-T on 4500. You can use 6516, 6816 or 6724-SFP on 6500 for connectivity.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_data_sheet0900aecd802109ea.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html#gigabit

HTH,Please rate all the posts.

-amit singh

amit here with 3560 and 3750 will have issue with port density also right!!! as its come with only 48 ports so i have to go for the two if i want to go for 86 host and if i want to deal with the full redundancy then i will go for two 4507 so i will have all most all the redunduncy option available right!!!

yes, using 3750's might be a little challenge and you have to deploy 4 3750's to support 86 uers with full HA configured. It will be lot easier with 4507r and cost will almost be the same. You will more HA features on 4500.

You can contact me anytime when you want. i will be Glad to help you !!!

HTH,

-amit singh

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can reach me at amisin@gmail.com

-amit singh

thanks amit. hey is that fine if i will contact you?

i think during deployment i will need your help.

thanks again

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco