cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network design with 6500

bryan.lofland
Level 1
Level 1

I am planning on upgrading my current internet connection from a single T1 to a channelized DS3. I have some questions/issues on the logistics about how that would work.

I currently have a little 2610 with a T1 card in it that I use as my edge router. I want to replace that with a 6500 with a Sup 720. The configuration I think I will need is as follows:

Catalyst 6513 Chassis

1 Sup 720

1 Enhanced FlexWAN module

1 Cisco 1 port T3 multichannel adapter

10 10/100/1000 RJ45 modules

I currently have two Cisco 5513s with RSM in them. I want to replace one of those 5513s with this 6513 and the other with a Catalyst 4506 or 4510. How would the MUX'd DS3 physically connect to the 6513. Do I even need the MC T3 card and the FlexWAN module? Any advice would be greatful.

Thanks,

Bryan

2 Replies 2

jasonrandolph
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a specific reason you are going with a channelized DS3, or is that just what the ISP is handing off as?

Typically when I've seen DS3's delivered, they've just be straight coax. I have seen a few times where an iMux was used to bring in multiple T1s and hand it off as either an HSSI interface or a BNC coax drop.

The type of interface that the ISP hands the circuit off to you on would determine the type of interface hardware that you would need. However I believe you will need a flexwan module either way for the WAN interface module required.

griffijo
Level 1
Level 1

Regardless of the handoff I am not sure you would want to put the 6500 on the edge like that. The way it sounds, you're going to combine you're access layer, core/distribution layer, and your Internet router in one box? I also assume you're going to provide firewall services and content filtering there as well? That's a pretty big target at the edge of the network in addition to a big point of failure. I think it would be smarter and more cost effective to forgo the FlexWAN/T3 multichannel adapter and get yourself a 2800 or 3800 to put on the edge, then stick the 6500 behind that.

Do you mean fractional T3?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card