Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on Setup

fmmontei1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm very new and looking to learn. I'm currently reading books and online materials. I am in the process of configuring my router a 3640. Can i configure my router to work with my ISP, I want to replace it with my linksys router. I don't have a T1 i'm just connecting my cable modem into the 3640 via rj 45. Is this possiable?

2 Replies 2

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

You absolutely can "just" connect your router to the cable or DSL modem by way of the Ethernet port.

The complication, in the case of DSL, is that you {must also | probably want to} have the router do the PPPoE/PPPoA login and maintenance.

For a cable modem, it's pretty much just cabling your router to the modem and settingup DHCP (at least on the outside/ISP side).

You can set the router up as a DHCP client, so it gets the address and default info from the ISP, then pass it along to the clients ... or configure your DHCP server on the inside to provide whatever info you need.

Good Luck

Scott

hey scott can you explian the setup steps if i wanted to do it on my dsl with static ip so that i can connect from my work to my home lab. i am using a 2511 router. with a netiopa router.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card