Views
Helpful
Replies

Failover using a Single Cisco 1800

jamesreed1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have a friend that has dual internet connections coming in for his business. One is a T1 the other is a DSL. Is it possible using the Cisco 1800 with SDM running to setup a failover in case one of his internet connections goes down that outside users can still access webmail, webpage and other things like that?

7 Replies 7

farkascsgy
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

If you have two ISP lines terminated on one router - DSL, T1 - in case of failure of T1 line I am sure you can't route traffic over the DSL line unless your provider of DSL line route your T1 internet line's IP space. If you use T1 line with provider aggregated address the other provider usually doesn't advertise.

Anyway technically there is no problem to achieve this scenario, you can use static route floating for default route.

Bye

FCS

Hi,

Floating static is OK for outgoing traffic, but you need the ISP to setup routing for return traffic. If you have two different ISP its more complex. You need to run BGP and have PI adr. (provider independent IP adr).

I don't think your DSL provider will aggree on mulihomed BGP.

Regards,

Bjornarsb

bjornarsb
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I will not recomend using a wizard for this setup. To make this work properly you need to contact the ISP, at least agree on witch routing protocol you must use.

Assuming you have one ISP for both connections a 1800 router can be setup with failover. The ISP must agree or set your metrics so that the backup path is selected only when the T1 one is down.

HTH

Regards,

Bjornarsb

Sorry maybe I did not state the question properly. Two external connections coming into a single 1800 router. The router then connects to the internal network. If the T1 goes down how can the router be setup to still allow internal access to say a website running within the internal network. See the attach graphic, sorry for the lack of drawing skills.

Hi,

Yes and the answer is still the same.

One question: is it the same ISP providing both the T1 and the DSL ?

Regards,

Bjornarsb

Hello

Unfortunately there are two different ISPs.

Hi,

Then as I have posted earlier you need to

run Multihomed BGP. And you must get PI addresses from RIPE (europe).

Regards,

Bjornarsb

PS. how about changing so that you only have one provider.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card