Newbie from London UK needs your kind advice on Cisco products

Unanswered Question
May 6th, 2007

Hi folks - I'd be grateful for your advice on which Cisco switch and other componets would be right for me. I'm a newbie to Cisco products. I've been down the hopeless Netgear route - but I need to get serious!

I'll have a Cisco engineer to install - but I find advice on forums like these REALLY helpful. Thanks in advance.

Here's what I need:

10/100 ports - 24 max

VLANS (tagged) and VLAN routing (sometimes called VLAN trunking) ESSENTIAL

Power over ethernet (not essential, but would be nice)

DHCP server (not essential, but would be nice)

This switch will just be used in one office - don't need any facility to link to other switches/gigabit/fibre etc. No do I need any expansion slots etc.

It needs to be able to cope with 100 users surfing the net and email. Plus 100 SIP VoIP phones. (My set-up is totally WiFi for data and voice. 4 x AP's connected to a WiFi controller - which is plugged into the switch. See:

I will have 2 x ADSL 2+ lines, which I would like to bond together for resilience and bandwidth purposes. I think this is the item I need:

Cisco 1841 with 2 x HWIC-1ADSL

But not sure I understand this - do I still need ADSL2+ modems? If I have external modems - what do I need to bond the lines together so all users can share the bandwidth?

And could such a facility be incorporated into the switch with expansion cards etc? Or am I better off having a seperate device?

The above router also has a firewall and VPN which is good for me.

My ADSL providers will provide me with SpeedTouch modem/router/firewall/DHCP. But I wonder if I'd be better off with Cisco products. These may be more stable and better able to handle the traffic. Plus I then have a full Cisco solution.

For your info: I will also have a dedicated 2Mbps SDSL line for my VoIP traffic. Hence the requirement for VLANS so I can direct the traffic. The Meru WiFi controller uses VLANs. So one VLAN for data and a second for VoIP.

So no requirment for QoS on the switch for SIP traffic - as the VLANs should take care of this. But the switch must be fast with good latency etc. I guess SIP QoS would not be a bad thing though

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 05/11/2007 - 05:37

The Cisco Product Advisor narrows down Cisco networking products based on product features and business requirements. The tool can be used in a novice, question-and-answer mode or in an expert, feature selection mode. Once products are recommended, they can be compared on a feature-by-feature basis. The results from Cisco Product Advisor may be used for further research and to promote productive discussions with your Cisco partner, account manager, or sales representative.

Or you can make use of the following page:

This Discussion