Views
Helpful
Replies

2nd Gen Multiflex Trunk Voice/WAN Int. Card - T1/E1

limtohsoon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sir,

Can we configure E1 links with no G.704 framing using the VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 (desc: 2-Port 2nd Gen Multiflex Trunk Voice/WAN Int. Card - T1/E1), as follows:

!

card type e1 0 0

!

controller E1 0/0/0

channel-group 0 unframed

!

interface Serial0/0/0:0

!

I have a Cisco 2821 ISR installed with this VWIC but the above "unframed" keyword is not available.

Referring to URL below,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_qanda_item0900aecd8028d2e5.shtml

Table 2 outlines that VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 does not support Unstructured E1/G.703.

Does it mean it does not support E1 link with no G.704 framing?

Please advise.

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

6 Replies 6

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Yes, "VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1" won't support unframed E1, but the "VWIC2-1MFT-G703" can operate either in unframed or framed:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1834/products_feature_guide09186a00800e976b.html

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

For VWIC2-2MFT-G703, can you confirm that it supports the following two commands:

channel-group unframed

channel-group timeslots ...

My requirement is, I need two E1 links for data only. I may configure it in framed or unframed mode. I'm thinking of getting the NM-2CE1T1-PRI (USD 4,200). However, if VWIC2-2MFT-G703 (USD 3,000) could do the job, I may consider it since it's cheaper.

Please advise further.

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

Yes the VWIC2-2MFT-G703 will support both the commands. The second generation card requires that your IOS is 12.3(14) and above

If you can configure framed mode, why not go for the VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1...which would be USD 2000 :-)

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Hi,

Yes, the VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 is cheaper.

I'd like to know; is configuring framed or unframed mode independent of the physical line?

Another question: Is the correct cable for the VWIC2-2MFT, CAB-E1-RJ45BNC?

Please advise.

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

Hi,

The Second-generation 1- and 2-port G.703 Multiflex Trunk voice/WAN Interface Cards (product numbers VWIC2-1MFT-G703 and VWIC2-2MFT-G703) support not only unstructured E1 (G.703) but also all the features of the other Cisco MFT VWIC2 cards, including drop and insert. Additional flexibility is provided on the 2 port G.703 Multiflex Trunk voice/WAN Interface Cards with the capability to configure one port for unstructured E1 (G.703) while configuring the other for standard framed E1.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028d2db.html

HTH, please do rate all helpful posts,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Correct, if you have an unframed 2.048 Mbps circuit, you can configure your equipment either as unframed, or framed mode.

The disadvantage of the latter, is that the speed will be reduced to 1.984 Mbps. However considering the high price of the unstructured card, it may be worth to do so.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco