cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device/Configuration help requested

JustSteve
Level 1
Level 1

We have a main location with a 2600 with 4 WIC slots, 10.10.1.1. We also have 3 satelite locations with single WIC 2600's at each, 10.10.2.1, 3.1 and 4.1 respectively. The 4th WIC slot on the main router is used for the T1 internet line. All satellites route to the main 1.x router for applications and for internet. This setup has worked great for many years but now we are planning on opening 4-5 more locations within the next few years. This means we need to add more WIC connections at the main location. My question is, what is the best way to do this? Can we daisy-chain another 4 port and just expand it's capability to 8, or can we add one and give it say 10.10.1.2, give the next offices 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, and 8.1 and route these to 1.2 and then have 1.2 route to 1.1? Or is there another single router that can hold 8+ WIC's? We'd like to use the equipment we have already if possible but it's been a while since I've researched Cisco products so I'm not sure the best route to go. Would seriously appreciate any input.

3 Replies 3

bjornarsb
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

As far as I know the only router that can hold a 8-Port Channelized T1/E1 is a 7600 or 12000.

I would suggest that you by another router, lets say a 2800. Then if one router goes down, you still have 4 locations operative.

HTH

Regards,

Bjornarsb

thanks for the feedback. Do you know if the 2600's can be daisy-chained so you can just use the new 4 WIC slots as an expansion of the first router?

Hi,

The 2691 router has 3 wic slots, so you need to by a new 2800. By the way the 2600 models are end of sale and will not be supported in the future.

HTH

Regards,

Bjornarsb

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card