cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

About router 1812 and Wirless

g.lacoursiere
Level 1
Level 1

We ahave at our scholl, where I teach, bought 10 router 1812 (with wirless integrated), and we are trying to do wireless bridging/wireless repeater, with those machine. But when I try to change the role of the wirless router, I don't have any other choice than root as the role of the router.

So is it possible to change the role of the router??

Thank you

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Gabriel,

The 1812W is not going to work to teach these different Wireless AP/Bridge roles :(

The Cisco 1800 Series fixed-configuration routers support the following features:

IEEE 802.11a support (Cisco 1800 Series fixed-configuration routers only)---This support helps enable interoperability under 802.11a specifications for wireless network architecture, wireless association, and radio management. Support for 802.11 standards allows settings for the access-point mode of operation (root or repeater), Service Set Identifier (SSID), authentication type, channel selection, transmission rates, power-save mode, and security based on Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP), and other configurable fields.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5413/prod_bulletin0900aecd8028f937.html

You might want to try a taditional AP like the 1240 series to demonstrate these different setups;

The Cisco Aironet 1240AG Series link role flexibility provides both access point and bridge functions through configuration of each radio as an access point, repeater, root bridge, non-root bridge, or workgroup bridge. This array of configuration flexibility enables the Cisco Aironet 1240AG Series to address applications including basic wireless LAN coverage, wireless LAN coverage with wireless backhaul, and more traditional bridging applications.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6521/products_qanda_item0900aecd8031c8dc.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thank you bery much for this very clear reply. Sp I wont teach that bridge thing with tose routers.

Gabriel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: