cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Management VLAN problem

santipongv
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Catalyst Switch 3524XL with IOS 12.0(5)WC9a. Currently, I manage this switch through interface VLAN 10 instead of the default interface VLAN 1. This switch is configured as a VTP transparent mode and is connected to a Catalyst 4507 in VTP server mode. I try to connect this 3524XL switch to a new 6509 switch in VTP server mode and try to change management IP address and VLAN interface, but it was unsuccessful. I changed ip default-gateway to point to the new 6509 switch. What else am I missing? I don't think VTP status is the problem here. Please correct me if I am wrong. Any advises would be appreciated. Thank you.

7 Replies 7

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

what is the ip address of u r 6509.

and what ip address u r trying to assign on 3524.what is the link between the two swithes it trunk or access.please proivde more details.

Thanks

Mahmood

IP address of 6509 is 192.168.17.1/26

IP address of the new VLAN interface on 3524XL is 192.168.17.18/26

Link between the two switches is configured as trunk and VLAN 17 is allowed.

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

As you mentioned it is unsuccessfull can you confirm did you got any error message or what exactly happened?

It is a layer 2 switch so only one vlan interface will be up, did you tried unshutting new vlan interface so that it should come up and old one should go down.

Also make sure the new vlan interface which you confgured have atleast one active physical interface mapped to that vlan or a trunk interface which should carry that vlan.

VTP is not at all related to this problem but yes VTP will update this new switch with vlan information on 6509 switch provided it has same domain name and lower config revision number as compared to 6509 or else 6509 will update itelf with vlan information on 3500XL switch.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

There is not error message on 6509 or 3524XL. I unshut the new VLAN (17) interface and shut the old VLAN (10) interface. The new VLAN interface came up and the old VLAN interface is in administratively down.

Link between 3524XL and 6509 is configured as a trunk and the new VLAN (17) is allowed on this trunk

Thank you.

Hi Friend,

So what exactly is the problem? Are you not able to reach 6509?

Regards,

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

I am not able to ping 6509 and I cannot reach the new VLAN interface IP address.

Thanks.

Current

3524XL VLAN 10 VTP Transparent mode IP default gateway is VLAN 10 interface IP address on 4507 <==Trunk allow VLAN10==> 4507 VTP Server Mode

New

3524XL VLAN 17 VTP Transparent mode IP default gateway is VLAN 17 interface IP address on 6509 <==Trunk allow VLAN17==> 6509 VTP Server Mode

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: