Views
Helpful
Replies

IP answers to ping, but no MAC on switch port

bd-fisher
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have a 6509 switch doing L3 and another 6509 connected via a trunk. I can ping an address and when I do a "sho IP arp", I see the mac. When I go to the other switch(where I know the device is connected) and do a "sho mac-address address" with the address, it comes back with nothing. Even when I do the "sho mac-addr...interface", there is no mac listed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

5 Replies 5

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Brian,

Do you see anything is the logs that the interface is going up and down which may cause the mac entry to loose from the cam table, just a guess.

Can you see that mac entry in "sh mac-address-table dynamic"

Regards,

Ankur

Ankur,

I thought that was the problem, but the switchport is stable. I also tried the "sho mac-addr....dyn" and searched thru every mac on the switch. Not there.

Brian

did you ever get this resolved?

I'm having the same issue with a 6513 and also some 3750s.

Check the stability of spanning tree. a TCN sets the CAM age timer to 15 secs, which is pretty sharp! it is quite easy to take longer than that to check tables.

If the aging timer is set to 15 secs, the first thing is to make sure user ports are set to portfast to suppress TCNs for those ports when users turn a PC on, off, reload etc.

ilnaiduccna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Brian,

If the switch port down even device connected to the port it wont show the mac-address untill the switch port is up.

Regards,

Naidu.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: