911 dialing and mobile users

Unanswered Question
May 7th, 2007

We do not have the CER software. We may not get it until next year. We have users with IP Communicator and a few other users with the 7920 phones. When they travel from one office to another, their calls will still go out to the PSTN as if they were in their home office. What is recommended in regards to 911 dialing? If they were to dial 911 from the softphone or wireless phone while visiting another office, their calls would not be routed out the proper door. We are concerned about the safety of employees and the legal ramifications of this problem. What can be done if CER is not in place? Any recommended best practices in this situation?

Thanks.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Brandon Buffin Mon, 05/07/2007 - 11:58

One option is to use Extension Mobility and have users log in to a location specific profile with the proper CSS to send 911 calls out a local gateway.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

thomas1 Wed, 05/09/2007 - 06:38

Extension mobility might work for the locations that are on our Call Manager. However, we may visit other locations that are part of the enterprise, but they aren't on our Call Manager or may not be on IPT at all...in other words...same network but separate phone system.

Maybe their isn't a bullet proof technical solution to our problem. I guess I'm curious if other companies are having the users sign waivers or read and sign an official policy statement regarding 911 dialing while mobile. This would inform the user about not using it and it would protect the company...but I'm not a lawyer, I'm just phone guy. lol I welcome anyones thoughts on this idea...pros and cons...ridiculous...etc.

Actions

This Discussion