Views
Helpful
Replies

Reason to replace Routers 2600 and cat 3550

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Imagine I have a number of key routers on my network and they are still 2600. I also have catalyst 3550 switches and as far as I know those are a bit outdated as well (not as much as the 2600's though).

Please let me know if you see any strong technical reason to justify a replacement of 2600's and Cat 3550's.

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What type of connections are terminationg on your 2600's. If the connections are other than the ethernet, you really cannot replace 2600's with 3550's. The 3550's will be a good choice if you have all ethernet connections, which will eventually give you a lot more enhanced performance both at layer 2 and layer 3.It supports more integrated layer 2 and Layer 3 security features.

-amit singh

cbz
Level 1
Level 1

Are the 2600's only routers? Are they doing any VPN or CBAC (IOS firewall)?

In my opinion, if you are looking for VPN, Firewall and IPS sure upgrade to the 2800's. But if you are just routing packets and the 2600's are handling the load, I would just leave them in place.

As for the 3550's. What are they being used for/ Do you need more then 10/100 to the desktop or server and a Gig uplink? If so you may want to upgrade them.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card