cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS on VLAN1

DJCanuck1_2
Level 1
Level 1

I have an 871 router at a remote site that terminates a DMVPN to our corporate network. We run Cisco phones through this tunnel to our Call Manager. I configured two DHCP pools, one for the phones and one for workstations on separate VLANs. The phones work fine and the workstations receive an IP with the external DNS servers, but cannot resolve websites. I have the workstation pool running through a gateway on VLAN1. The DNS lookups from the gateway address do not look to the DHCP pool dns-servers, but look to the name server in the router config. How can I get the DNS lookups to work for the workstations?

3 Replies 3

bjornarsb
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

If you are connected to the router console or vty and doing a name lookup from the CLI, the router will use its own configured name server.

Are you able to ping the external dns server from your remote site ?

Regards,

Bjornarsb

Hi DJ,

could you post the config. based on that we can find out what exactly the problem is.

This turned out to be a NAT issue on the workstation DHCP pool. This is working properly now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card