cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Appropriate Router For a 100Mb WAN Circuit

jaysoo
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to figure out what router would be able to route fast enough to handle a 100Mb WAN circuit. I was reading the 3800 series router blurb which says "Built for performance, the Cisco 3800 Series routers deliver multiple concurrent services up to wire-speed T3/E3 rates". I don't know if that means it can handle the equivalent of multiple 45Mb circuits or a total of 45Mb.

I'm told this circuit will be delivered to us as standard 100Mb Ethernet using an RJ-45 connection. I was wondering if it would be dumb to just use a switch seeing as they seem to most of the features of a router these days.

5 Replies 5

Manoj Wadhwa
Level 1
Level 1

If you are using 100 MB as your WAN link, it would most probably be a fiber link rather than a standard RJ45 connection. We have 100 MB internet link on one of our routers. Its using a fiber connection and the router model used is Cisco 3825.

Cheers!!!

- Manoj

jasonrandolph
Level 1
Level 1

What kind of hand-off are we talking? Direct Ethernet drop? If so, a L3 switch would be just fine unless you require features that only a router cold provide.

informationage
Level 1
Level 1

I would suggest a 7200 VXR if you have the funds. We have a 100Mb ethernet drop with Cogent that absolutely killed some 3640s.

Hi,

If you want to get any interface of upto 100 Mbps, you should you ahead with 7200 VXR with atleast NPE-G1 (which can take care of 100Mbps Interfaces and the processing speed required by the processor).

Furthermore, you may confirm the same by visiting the Data Sheets at

7200VXR Datasheet:-

------------------

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/products_data_sheet09186a008008872b.html

NPE-G1 Data Sheet:-

------------------

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/products_data_sheet09186a00800c6bd6.html

Hope this helps,

please rate.

Kind Regards,

Wilson Samuel

If there are not too many features, 100mbps can be handled well by an NPE-400 as well. NPE-G1 and G2 are really more for gigabits speeds.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card