Views
Helpful
Replies

Native Vlan Mismatch

ney25
Level 2
Level 2

hi NetPro,

i am doing cascade from Access switch, one of the port which vlan 288 connect to another cisco switch (act like hub), i got the error from the both switch . Native Vlan mismatch.

Switch A (Access Switch).

interface FastEthernet4/38

switchport access vlan 288

switchport mode access

switchport voice vlan 274

end

Switch B (cascade)

interface FastEthernet0/47

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 288

so, if i put both site encapsulation dot1q and native vlan .. i wont get the native vlan mismatch. but, i am unable to get the ip address.

regards,

Jackal

17 Replies 17

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Both switches must have dot1Q on the trunk interface between them with the same Native VLAN on both sides, you have to configure both switches this way.

HTH, please rate all helpful posts,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi Bro,

yes, i have tried both site put dot1q and trunk. but after that i am unable to get ip address.

Hi,

Have you configured both trunks with the same Native VLAN on both sides, what does the show cdp says.

HTH, please rate all helpful posts,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

sohaildxbfze
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

"switch trunk mode" is missing on Switch b @ fa0/47.

Check if vlan 288 is also allowed to pass

Hi,

at first, i configured both switch like this.

switch A:

int fa 4/38

switchport mode trunk

Switch B:

int fa 0/47

switchport mode trunk

when i used this config i am totally unable to get any ip address.

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ney,

Are you connecting Switch A fa4/38 to switch B fa0/47? If yes WHY have you configured voice vlan on switch A interface 4/38?

With this configuration you will get native Vlan mismatch but it will not hamper your data traffic so you can get let the config like this and to get rid of Native vlan mismatch message you can disable cdp on these interfaces.

Regards,

Ankur

hi Ankur,

because, my LAN connection was from ip phone.

Hi Ney,

Switch A int fa0/48 is connected to IP Phone or switch B int fa0/47? If it is connected to other switch B on fa0/47 there is no need to have voice vlan config.

Voice vlan config should be done only on interfaces which are connected to IP Phone.

So fa0/48 on switch A and fa0/47 on switch B should work as normal trunk ports with same native vlan. As you mentioned you are not able to get an ip address we need to troubleshoot different areas like which vlan is not able to get an ip address, is it only one machine or all machines in that vlan, where is your dhcp server, who is doing routing between vlan and other stuff.

Regards,

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

basically my Edge switch is fa4/38 (so called switch A) whereby the voice vlan also within this port.

so, now i cascade the additional switch act as hub (unmanaged / no ip address --> so called switch B )

so, switch A

------------

int fa 4/38

switchport mode trunk

switchport voice vlan 292

switch B

--------

int fa 0/47

switchport mode trunk

this is my initially configuration .

but, with this i cant get ip address ...

Hi,

I agree with Ankur, the "switchport voice vlan 292" is for an access port connected to an IP phone not for a trunk port connected to another switch, please do remove it.

HTH, please rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi bro,

yes, i do agree with you but this case slightly different because, this is use in the meeting room whereby that's limited LAN port over there. there's why my Lan connection was from ip phone. (Lan port connect to IP phone connect to Laptop ). so, now multiple users wanna use internet so i have to cascade a switch / hub connect from the ip phone to my switch / hub.

Hi Ney,

I understood your setup and requirement now. So your setup is something like this switch A interface fa0/48 connected to IP Phone and IP Phone computer interface is connected to your switch B int fa0/47 and on that switch users are connected for vlan 288? Correct me if I am wrong?

If this is the scenario you can configure on switch B fa0/47 interface without a trunk port and just a normal access port with vlan 288 so it will be considered like an end station connected like a computer to an ip phone.

Switch A

int fa0/48

switchport voice vlan 292

switch B

int fa0/47

switchport mode access

and confirm if this works for you. This should work if you have only one vlan users which is vlan 288 on your hub switch connected to ip phone.

Regards,

Ankur

Hi Ney,

Again if fa0/48 so called switch A is connected to switch B then on fa0/48 remove voice vlan configuration line and leave rest of the lines as it is and then see if your clients get an ip address or not? Also as you mentioned switch B is a unmanaged switch but you can configured its interface as trunk port? Can you confirm looking at "sh vlan" if vlan 288 and vlan 292 is present in vlan database?

Regards,

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

yes, i agree with you.

i will remove the voice vlan and get back to you.

thanks All.

Regards,

Jackal

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card