cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast DR and RP placement

johnnylingo
Level 5
Level 5

We have a small campus network - dual 6500s at a mixed core/distribution layer, dual 6500s on the server farm, and 3550/3560/3750 access switches that plug in to the cores.

I'm setting up Multicast to use for Music on Hold (MoH), and am trying to figure out which pair of 6500s should be configured as the DRs and RPs. Reading the Multicast design guide:

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/tech/tk363/c1501/ccmigration_09186a008015e7cc.pdf

I found it a little confusing. For example, it says "Ensure that the DR is configured to be the HSRP Active router", however it isn't clear to me if they mean the Multicast source or destination (both would be running HSRP, in our case).

Does it make sense to configure the router closest to the Multicast source or destination?

1 Reply 1

smart5
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Johnnylingo,

May i know how you setup the multicast for the 2 pair of 6500s core switches?

Currently for my case is that each pair is connected with a trunk (layer 2) running HSRP to provide redundancy, then these 2 pairs are connected (layer 3) together.

basically most of my end users are connected to access switches connecting to one pair trying to access the windows media server which is connected to another pair of core switches.

Would appreciate if you can share your configuration. thanks alot.

-------------

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/tech/tk363/c1501/ccmigration_09186a008015e7cc.pdf

With regards to the design guideline provided, i have read and tested the small campus LAN deployment for my other sites, a question in my mind is:

1) is there a need connectivity between the two loopback interfaces on both core switches?

interface Loopback0

description Interface used for RP/MA

ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255

ip pim sparse-dense-mode

interface Loopback0

description Interface used for RP/MA

ip address 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.255

ip pim sparse-dense-mode

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: