Views
Helpful
Replies

Intervlan routing not working across switches

rickd12345
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

please see the attached jpeg for a fuller description of my problem.

Basically, when I have 2 VLANs on the same switch as the router dong the inter vlan routing I can speak between vlans. However, I am trying to trunk across multiple switches and still route between 2 vlans/subnets and this is not working. Switches only speak to devices within their same subnet and not across the vlan as I need.

I am quite sure my confs are good but I just need re-assuring that what I am planning is possible.

See attached,

cheers

Richard

2 Replies 2

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

if that is a layer 3 switch, juz enable "ip routing" then the inter-vlan routing happens.if if u say that "ip routing" is enabled & still you face same probz, then check whether ACL is blocking that. better if you could post the config.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

What you are trying to do is possible. Could i ask, if you are only allowing vlan 2 traffic across the link between the 2 cisco 2950 switches via the procurve why do you need it to be a trunk. You could just make it an access port on both ends. Only the link between the router and the switch would need to be a trunk.

Howver if you do want it to be a trunk.

From a client connected into switch 2 can you ping it's default gateway on the router.

If you can, can you ping the other subinterface address on the router ?

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card