Views
Helpful
Replies

Quick Best Practice question

dominic.caron
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

I'm configuring multiple vrf in my core.

I would like to know if I'm better off configuring switchport between my router with each vrf assigne to a vlan...(a bunch of /30 network)

OR

Create routed sub-interface with dot1q encapsulation.(/31 P.TO P. network)

The last one has the advantage of not having any STP on the link...

4 Replies 4

bjornarsb
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I'm not sure that I get your point.

You cannot assign vrf on a switchport.

It has to be a layer 3 port!

In the core one the link between your PE and P routers you just enable tag-switching as you probarly already have done :)

HTH

Regards,

Bjornarsb

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

If i understand you correct, you are using VRF-Lite, the second option is the finest in the point that you are not going to have any switching issues.

HTH, please rate if it does help,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thank's,

My Cisco SE think I would be better with VLAN apply to switchport. I must admit he make sense. Not that sub-interface would not be faster, they would also be more sensible to link flapping.

Anyway, this is a temporary solution. I getting way to much VRF demand that I'm bottlenecking. I might have to go MPLS in the short run.

Hi Dominic,

I think his point of view makes sense, i think that going to MPLS might be a scalable solution for you, please keep us updated with your case, its an exciting one.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: